Moravia (Ger. Mahren), a crown-land of the Austrian empire. Area, 8579 sq. m. ; pop. (1870) 2,017,274; (1900) 2,437,706. It is enclosed on all sides by mountains, being separated from Silesia by the Sudetes, from Bohemia by the Moravian chain, and from Hungary by the Carpathians; while branches of these various chains intersect the whole country except in the south, where there are extensive plains. The March or Morava, from which the country derives its name, joins the Danube. The Oder, which rises among the mountains on the north-east, soon leaves the country. Moravia is essentially an agricultural region. The mineral products are coal and iron, with some graphite. The industries include the manufacture of woollen, linen, and cotton goods, and beet-root sugar, silk-weaving, lace-making, iron-founding, tanning, brewing, distilling, etc. Brunn is the capital, and another chief town is Olmutz. The majority (95 per cent.) of the people are Catholics. By nationality 71 per cent. are Slavs (Czechs and Moravians) and 28 per cent. Germans. From 1029 Moravia was associated with Bohemia, and in 1526, with all the other Bohemian lands, fell to Austria. In 1849 it was formally separated from Bohemia, and declared a distinct crown-land.