Morvan

Morvan (Morvong), Le, a barren district of France, a north-easterly extension of the central plateau, is mainly in the dep. of Nievre.

Morvern

Morvern, a peninsula of north-west Argyllshire, between Lochs Sunart and Linnhe. It is the ' Highland parish' of Norman Macleod.

Morwenstow

Morwenstow, or Moorwinstow, a parish in the extreme north of the Cornish coast, 7 miles N. of Bude. Its church, dedicated to St Mor-wenna, is mainly of Norman date ; R. S. Hawker was its vicar. Pop. 704.

Moselle

Moselle (Mozel; Ger. Mo'sel), a left-hand affluent of the Rhine, rises in the SW. of the Vosges Mountains in France, at an elevation of 2412 feet. Thence it winds 315 miles NW. and NE., past Epinal, Metz, Thionville, and Treves, as far as Toul, through Luxemburg and Rhenish Prussia, till it falls into the Rhine at Coblenz. It is navigable to Frouard, 214 miles. Its principal tributaries are the Meurthe, Seille, and Saar on the right, and the Orne, Sure, and Kyll on the left. The Moselle wines are well known.

Moselle was formerly a frontier department in the north-east of France, but the greater part of it was taken by Germany after the war of 1870-71, and became as of old part of Lorraine. The small portion left to France was joined to the dep. of Meurthe. See Meurthe-et-Moselle.

Moskwa

Moskwa, a navigable branch of the Volga's tributary, the Oka, rises in a marsh E. of Smolensk, and has a course of 305 miles, passing Moscow.

Mosquito Coast

Mosquito Coast (Moskee'to), British from 1655 till 1850, is now an eastern section of Nicaragua (q.v.). The inhabitants, of Mosquito Indian and African blood, number about 15,000. The chief town is Bluefields (pop. 500).

Mossamedes

Mossame'des, a seaport on Little Fish Bay, in Angola, the Portuguese territory on the West Coast of Africa. Pop. 6000.

Mossend

Mossend', a Lanarkshire mining town, 4 1/4 miles S. by E. of Coatbridge. Population above 3500.

Mossgiel

Mossgiel (Moss-geel; g hard). See Mauchline.

Mossley

Mossley, a manufacturing town of Lancashire, at the Yorkshire and Cheshire boundary, on the Tame, 3 miles NE. of Ashton-under-Lyne. A municipal borough since 1885, it has cotton and woollen mills, and foundries. Pop. 13,162.

Moss Side

Moss Side, a southern suburb of Manchester.

Mostaganern

Mostaganern', a coast-town of Algeria, 45' miles NE. of Oran. Once a place of 40,000, it decayed utterly, but has thriven again since the French took possession in 1833. Pop. 17,768.

Mostar

Mos'tar, the chief town of Herzegovina, on the Narenta, 27 miles by rail NNE. of the port of Metkovich and 84 SSW. of Sarajevo. It takes its name (= ' old bridge') from a so-called Roman, but really Venetian bridge of one arch, 95 feet in span, has numerous mosques, and is the seat of a Roman Catholic and a Greek bishop. Pop. 14,655.

Mosul

Mosul (Mozool), a decayed town of Asiatic Turkey, in Mesopotamia, on the right bank of the Tigris, opposite the ruins of Nineveh, 200 miles up the river from Bagdad. Once it was a very prosperous city, with much industry - muslin takes name from it; now its bazaars are filled with the manufactures of the West, and almost the only export is gall-nuts. Pop. 30,000.