Multan (Mooltan), an ancient city of India, in the Punjab, 4 miles from the left bank of the Chenab, surrounded except on the south by a wall 10 to 20 feet high. The European quarter lies to the north and west of the city, whilst to the south is the citadel, which contains two Mohammedan shrines, the ruins of an ancient Hindu temple, and a massive obelisk (70 feet) to the memory of Vans Agnew and Anderson, murdered here in 1848. The vicinity abounds in mosques, tombs, shrines, etc. It has much trade, and manufactures silks, cottons, carpets, glazed pottery, and enamel work. In 1849 it was taken and annexed. Pop. 8S,500.
Mumbles, a lighthouse at the west extremity of Swansea Bay.
Munchen. See Munich.
Munden, a town of Hanover, at the influx of the Werra and Fulda to the Weser, 15 miles NE. of Cassel. Girt by wooded hills, it has a school of forestry (1868), and manufactures india-rubber, glass, sugar, etc. Pop. 9553. See Minden.
Munkacs, a market-town of Hungary, at the foot of the Carpathians, 101 miles by rail NE. of Debreczin, has mines of iron and rock-crystals, called Hungarian diamonds. The citadel, on a height, is now a state-prison. Pop. 14,500.
Munnipore. See Manipur.
Murano. See Venice.
Murcia (Span. pron. Moor'theea), a town of Spain, 46 miles by rail SW. of Alicante and 50 N. by W. of Cartagena. An old-fashioned Moorish town, it is embosomed in gardens of mulberry, orange, fig, palm, and other fruit trees. The cathedral, reconstructed in 1521, is surmounted by a fine bell-tower. Silks, saltpetre, soda, gunpowder, musical instruments, and glass are manufactured. Population, 113,000. - The province of Murcia has an area of 4478 sq. m. and a pop. of 580,000.
Murfreesborough, capital of Rutherford county, Tennessee, in 1819-26 capital of the state, is 33 miles by rail SE. of Nashville. Close by the battle of Stone River was fought, 31st December 1862 and 2d January 1863. Pop. 4000.
Murray River, the principal river of Australia, 1120 miles long. It rises in the Australian Alps, flows north-west along the frontiers of New South Wales and Victoria, and in South Australia passes southward through the shallow Lake Alexandrina to the sea at Encounter Bay. It is navigable part of the year as far as Albury, 190 miles NE. of Melbourne, but its mouth cannot be entered by ships of any size. The chief tributaries are the Lachlan, Murrumbidgee, and Darling, themselves large rivers.
Murshidabad', a town of India, on the left bank of the Bhagirathi, a branch of the Ganges, 124 miles N. of Calcutta. During the 18th century it was the capital of Bengal; but when, in 1772-90, the British made Calcutta their headquarters Murshidabad began to decline, and in 1901 its pop. was only 28,553. The chief buildings of note are the palace of the Nawab(1837), the Imambara (' house of prayer'), and a mosque. Two miles south of the city is Motijhil or Pearl Lake ; on its bank stood the palace of Suraj-ud-Dowlah, in which Clive enthroned Mir Jafar, and where the English Residents - Warren Hastings the first - dwelt. The city is noted for ivory-carving, embroidery in gold and silver lace, silk-weaving, hookahs, and musical instruments.