Nancy (Nongsee), a beautiful French town, capital of Meurthe-et-Moselle, lies on the river Meurthe, at the foot of vine-clad hills, 220 miles by rail E. of Paris and 94 W. of Strasburg. It owes much of its architectural adornment to Stanislas Leszcinski, who, after abdicating the crown of Poland in 1735, resided here as Duke of Lorraine till his death in 1766. His statue (1831) adorns the Place Stanislas, the principal square, which is surrounded by the hotel-de-ville, the bishop's palace, and the theatre. Other noteworthy features are the cathedral (1742); the churches Des Cordeliers and Notre Dame de Bon Secours (1738), St Epvre (1875); the 16th-century ducal palace, with the Lorraine museum; statues of General Drouot (1853) and Thiers (1879); and half-a-dozen gates. The institutions include a university, a lyceum, and a library of 40,000 volumes. Nancy, which has grown in importance since the German annexation of Alsace-Lorraine, manufactures cotton and woollen goods, artificial flowers, iron, tobacco, etc.; but its staple industry is embroidery on cambric and muslin. Pop. (1872) 52,565; (1901) 90,539. The capital of the duchy of Lorraine (q.v.), it was the scene of the death of Charles the Bold (1477), and the birthplace of Callot and Claude Lorraine.