Neu-Pommern. See New Britain.
Neuss (Noyss), a town of Rhenish Prussia, near the left bank of the Rhine, 4 miles W. of Dussel-dorf by rail. Its church of St Quirinus was founded in 1209. Neuss has ironworks, foundries, flour and iron mills, and manufactures of cottons, woollens, leather, paper, chicory, etc. Pop. close on 30,000.
Neustadt (Noy-stat), a town of Prussian Silesia, 25 miles SW. of Oppeln. It manufactures woollen and linen fabrics and carpets. Pop. 26,093. - (2) Nbustadt, or Wiener-Neustadt, one of the most beautiful towns of Lower Austria, 32 miles S. of Vienna by rail. It is overlooked by the old castle of the Dukes of Babenberg, now a military academy, whose fine Gothic chapel (1460), rich in painted glass, is the burial-place of Maximilian I. Locomotives and machinery, wire, bells, pottery, starch, leather, and ribbons are manufactured. The city, called ' the Ever-faithful,' was founded in 1192, and rebuilt after a great fire in 1834. Pop. 29,040. - (3) Neustadt-an-der-Hardt, a town of Rhenish Bavaria, at the foot of the Hardt Mountains, 20 miles W. of Spires. It manufactures paper, cloth, soap, wine, etc. Pop. 18,255.
Neustrelitz (Noy-stray'litz), capital of the grand-duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, in a hilly district, between two lakes, 62 miles NNW. of Berlin. Founded in 1733, it is built in the form of an eight-rayed star, and contains the ducal palace, with magnificent gardens. Pop. 11,540.
Neuwied (Noy'veed), a town of Prussia, on the Rhine's right bank, 8 miles below Coblenz, was capital of the principality of Wied ; the castle has a beautiful garden, with many Roman antiquities. The town contains a great institute of the Moravian Brethren. Pop. 11,650.
Neva, a river of Russia, flows westward from the south-west corner of Lake Ladoga to the Bay of Cronstadt, in the Gulf of Finland, passing through St Petersburg, and carries to the sea an enormous volume of water (greater than that of the Rhine) from the lakes Ladoga, Onega, Ilmen, etc. Its total length, with windings, is about 40 miles ; its width varies from 4000 feet to 180 ; and in places the navigation is embarrassed by reefs and rapids. It is frozen on an average from November 25 to April 21.
Nevers (Neh-vayr), capital of the French dep. of Nievre, and formerly of the province of Nivernais, is picturesquely seated on a hillside at the influx of the Nievre to the Loire, 159 miles by rail SSE. of Paris. The Noviodunum of Caesar, it has been the seat of a bishop since 506; its beautiful cathedral belongs mainly to the 13th century. The industries comprise the manufacture of cannon, iron cables and chains, porcelain (introduced by Italians about 1565), etc. Pop. 25,600.