New Holland. See Australia.
New Ireland, now, as part of the German Bismarck Archipelago, called Neu-Mecklenburg, a long, narrow island in the Pacific, lying NE. of New Guinea. Area, 4900 sq. m.; length, 300 miles ; width, 15 miles. The hills rise to 6500 ft.
New Lanark. See Lanark.
New London, a port of entry of Connecticut, is on the right bank of the river Thames, 3 miles from Long Island Sound, 51 by rail E. of New Haven, and 126 NNE. of New York. The manufactures include woollens, sewing-silk, agricultural machinery, hardware, and crackers (Anglice, biscuits); fruit-canning also is carried on. The harbour (30 feet deep) is one of the best in the States. On the left bank of the river is a U. S. navy yard. New London was settled in 1645, and in 1781 was burned by Benedict Arnold. Pop. 18,500.
Newlyn, a Cornish fishing-village and artists' headquarters, on Mount's Bay, 2 miles SW. of Penzance.
New Quay, a watering-place on an inlet of Cardi-gan Bay, 5 miles Sw. of Aberayron. Pop. 3284.
New River, an artificial cut, running 38 miles southward from Chadswell Springs in Hertfordshire into reservoirs at Hornsey and Stoke New-ington. It was designed for the water-supply of London, and completed (1609-20) at a cost of £500,000 by Sir Hugh Myddelton, goldsmith, who died poor in 1631. The seventy-five original shares, sold for £100 apiece, sell now at the rate of from £85,200 to £95,100.
New Rochelle, a town of villas, on Long Island Sound, 17 miles NE. of New York. Pop. 14,720.
New Romney. See Romney.
New Ross, a market-town and river-port of Leinster, on the Barrow, partly in Kilkenny, but chiefly in Wexford, 92 miles S. by W. of Dublin and 15 NE. of Waterford. The two portions of the town are connected by an iron swing-bridge (1869). Before the Union New Ross - Old Ross lies 5 miles E. - returned two members, and down to 1885 one. Pop. 5840.