New'ark, (1) the capital of Essex county, New Jersey, on the Passaic River, 9 miles by rail W. of New York. A handsome city, with parks and elm-shaded streets, it has a city-hall, courthouse, public library, nearly 150 churches, and 400 industrial establishments, producing brass and iron work, hardware and machinery, carriages, trunks, saddlery, boots, hats, clothing, jewellery, etc. The line of docks is over a mile long. Newark was settled in 1666 by a colony from Connecticut, and received a city charter in 1836. Pop. (1850) 38,983; (1890) 1S1,830 ; (1900)246,070.-<2) Capital of Licking county, Ohio, on the Licking River (here crossed by four iron bridges), 33 miles by rail E. by N. of Columbus. Stoves, boilers, machinery, wagons, flour, woollens, and glass-ware are manufactured. Pop. (1880) 9600; (1900) 18,160.