Newmarket, the 'racing capital of England,' lies on the border of Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, 14 miles ENE. of Cambridge and 69 NNE. of London. Twice almost destroyed by fire, in 1683 and 1700, it chiefly consists of one long street, and contains an unusual number of hotels and fine private houses, belonging to the great patrons of the turf. Principal edifices are the Jockey Club (1773); the adjoining Subscription Rooms (1844); the Proprietary Club (1882); the Rous Memorial Hospital (1883); with almshouses for eight jockeys and trainers or their widows; St Mary's Church, Perpendicular in style ; and All Saints (1877). The town owes its prosperity to its horseraces, as old at least as 1605 ; and nearly half the male population are jockeys, trainers, or stablemen (Holcroft the dramatist was once one of their number). The race-ground, on Newmarket Heath, to the west, which is traversed by the Devil's Dyke, is owned partly by the Jockey Club, partly by the Duke of Rutland, and, with its soft elastic turf, is one of the very finest in the world. Of its ten courses, the longest is 4 1/4 miles in circuit. The training-ground bears a like character for excellence ; and 400 horses are constantly in training. There are seven annual meetings, the principal events being the Two Thousand at Easter and the Cesarewitch in October. Pop. (1851) 3356 ; (1901) 10,688. See J. P. Hore's History of Newmarket (3 vols. 1886).

Newmarket

Newmarket, a town of County Cork, 8 miles NW. of Kanturk station. Pop. 966.