Newry, a seaport, mainly in County Down, but partly in Armagh, on the Newry River, 38 miles SSW. of Belfast by rail. A canal connects it with Carlingford Lough and with Lough Neagh. Flax spinning and weaving, with rope and sail making, tanning, and granite-polishing, are the industries. The castle was taken by Edward Bruce in 1318. Newry returns one M.P. Pop. (1851) 13,191 ; (1901) 12,884.
New Shoreham. See Shoreham.
New Siberia, a Siberian group of uninhabited islands, rocky and icebound, in the Arctic Ocean, between the mouths of the Lena and Indigirka. The principal are Kotelnoi (the largest), Liakhov, Fadeyeff, and New Siberia.
Newstead Abbey, 10 miles NNW. of Nottingham, on the border of Sherwood Forest, was founded for Augustinian Canons by Henry II. in atonement for Becket's murder (1170), and in 1540, after the dissolution, was given to 'sir John Byron the Little, with the great beard.' His descendant, the poet Lord Byron, made the half-ruinous old place his home in 1808, but sold it in 1818, since which time about £100,000 have been spent on its restoration.
New Sweden. See Pennsylvania.
Newton, (1) capital of Harvey county, Kansas, 134 miles by rail SW. of Topeka, is the centre of a rich coalfield. Pop. 6605. - (2) A city of Massachusetts, 7 miles WSW. of Boston by rail, and almost surrounded by the Charles River. It manufactures cloth, silk, shoddy, machinery, glue, etc. Pop. 35,000.
Newton-Abbot, a market-town of Devonshire, at the influx of the Lemon to the Teign estuary, 15 miles (by rail 20) S. of Exeter. Ford House has lodged both Charles I. and William of Orange, who here in 1688 was first proclaimed king. Pop. 12,800.
Newton Heath, a north-eastern ward of the city of Manchester.
Newton-in-Makerfield (otherwise Newton-le-Willows), with its suburb of Earlstown, a thriving town of Lancashire, 16 miles E. of Liverpool and 16 W. of Manchester. An important railway junction, it has grown rapidly, and has printing-works, paper-mills, iron-foundries, a sugarrefinery, brick-fields, and railway-works. On the neighbouring fine racecourse a meeting is held annually in July. At Parkside, 1/2 mile distant, Mr Huskisson met with the accident which caused his death, at the opening of the railway (1830). Newton returned two M.P.s from 1558 to 1832. Pop. (1801) 1455 ; (1881) 10,580; (1901) 16,699.
Newton-Stewart, a town of Wigtownshire, near the mouth of the Cree, 50 miles by rail W. of Dumfries. It owes its name to a son of the Earl of Galloway, who obtained a charter making it a burgh of barony in 1677. Its buildings are a fine town-hall (1884) and an endowed school, the Ewart Institute (1864). Pop. 2638.
Newton-upon-Ayr. See Ayr.
Newtown (Welsh Drefnewydd; anc. Llanfair Cedewain), a town of Montgomeryshire, 13 miles SSW. of Welshpool. It is the centre of the Welsh flannel manufacture, and also produces tweeds, shawls, etc. With Montgomery, etc, it returns one member. Robert Owen was a native. Pop. 6500.