Newtownards, a town of County Down, 14 miles E. of Belfast by rail. Flax-spinning, muslin-weaving and embroidering, and nursery-gardening are industries, and there are large markets. Pop. (1851) 9567 ; (1901) 9110.
Newtown Hamilton, a market-town, 12 miles SE. of Armagh. Pop. 688.
New Westminster, formerly the capital of British Columbia, is on the north bank of the Fraser River, 10 miles from its mouth and 113 miles by rail and steamer NNE. of Victoria, on Vancouver Island. Here are saw-mills and great salmon-canning establishments. Pop. 6700.
Nezhin, or Nizhan, a town in the government of Tchernigov, Russia, on the Oster River, about 80 miles NE. of Kiev. It has a historico-philo-logical institute of high rank, with a library of 60,000 volumes. Tobacco is cultivated in the vicinity, and vegetables and fruit are important products. Pop. 32,100.
Ngami (Ngah'mee; ng as in sing), Lake, a former South African lake, in Southern Rhodesia and situated at the northern extremity of the Kalahari Desert, in 20° 30' S. lat. and 23° E. long., at an altitude of 2810 feet. When discovered by Livingstone in 1849, it was a lake of about 50 miles long by 10 to 20 miles broad, its chief tributary being the Cubango. It is now only a reed-grown swamp in the dry season.
Ngan-king, one of the interior Chinese ports, capital of the province of Ngan-hwei, opened to foreign commerce in 1897, is situated on the Yang-tsze-kiang, 190 miles SW. of Nanking. Pop. about 40,000.
Nias (Nee'as), a Dutch island, W. of Sumatra. The surface is mountainous, attaining 1970 feet. Area, 1767 sq. m. ; pop. 170,000, who grow pepper, rice, cocoa-nuts, tobacco, sugar-canes, etc.
NicAea. See Nice.
Nic'obar Islands, a group of islands in the Indian Ocean, south of the Andamans, and forming with them an extension of the great island chain of which Java and Sumatra are the principal links. Just a score in number, of which twelve are inhabited, they have an area of 684 sq. m., and consist of two divisions - the northern, low and planted with cocoa-nut trees, and the southern, mountainous (2000 feet) and covered with timber. The people belong to two races, an indigenous inland tribe, little civilised, and the coast people, 6000 in number, who are of mixed Malay blood. The archipelago was occupied by Denmark 1756-1856. In 1869 it was annexed by Britain. A penal colony for India exists at Nankauri, on the island Kamorta.
Nicome'dia, the capital of ancient Bithynia, situated at the NE. angle of an inlet of the Propontis, was built in 264 b. c. by Nicomedes I. The small town of Ismid now occupies its site.