Odeypoor

Odeypoor. See Udaipur.

Odiham

Odiham, a market-town of Hampshire, 23 miles NE. of Winchester. Pop. of parish, 2667.

Oedenburg {Odenboorg; Hung

Oedenburg {Odenboorg'; Hung. Soprony; the Scarabantia of the Romans), a town of Hungary, 3 miles W. of the Neusiedler See and 48 S. by E. of Vienna. It manufactures candied fruits, sugar, soap, etc. Pop. 83,320.

(Eland, a Baltic island, 4 to 17 miles from the east coast of Sweden. It is 55 miles long and 5 to 12 broad; pop. 30,400. Scarcely more than a limestone cliff, it is scantily covered with soil, but in some parts is well wooded.

Oels

Oels, a manufacturing town of Prussian Silesia, 16 miles ENE. of Breslau by rail. Pop. 10,876. CEr'ebro, a town of Sweden, where the Svarta enters the Hjelmar Lake, 170 miles W. of Stockholm by rail, with an old castle. Pop. 14,893.

Oesel

Oesel, a Baltic island belonging to Livonia, and lying across the mouth of the Gulf of Riga. It is 45 miles long from NE. to SW., and has an area of 1000 sq. m., with a pop. (chiefly Esthonian) of 56,600. The surface is broken by low hills, marshy, and well watered and wooded. The only town is Arensburg, on the south-east coast (pop. 4000). Long governed by the Teutonic Knights, Oesel became Danish in 1559, Swedish in 1645, and Russian in 1721.

Ofen

Ofen. See Pesth.

Offas Dyke

Offa's Dyke, the ancient boundary between Mercia and Wales, extending from the mouth of the Dee to that of the Severn.

Offenbach

Offenbach, a manufacturing town of Hesse-Darmstadt, on the Main's south bank, 5 miles by electric railway SE. of Frankfort. Among its manifold industrial products are chemicals, fancy leather goods, machines, and carriages. Pop. (1831) 7802; (1875) 26,012; (1900) 50,468.

Ogasawara

Ogasawara. See Bonin.

Ogden

Ogden, capital of Weber county, Utah, is situated, at an elevation of 4340 feet, at the confluence of the Weber and Ogden rivers, where the former passes through the Wahsatch Mountains, 37 miles N. of Salt Lake City. A great railway junction, it has a Methodist university (founded 1890), a foundry and mills, breweries, and manu-factories of woollens, brooms, boots and shoes, etc. Pop. (1880) 6069; (1900) 16,313.

Ogdensburg

Ogdensburg, a port of New York, on the St Lawrence, at the mouth of the Oswegatchie, opposite Prescott, Canada, and 515 miles by rail NNW. of New York City. It has a Catholic cathedral, a large lake and river trade, a huge grain-elevator, and manufactories of flour, lumber, and leather. Pop. 12,662.

Ogowe

Ogowe, or Ogoway, a river of West Africa, rises on the west side of the watershed that parts its basin from that of the Congo, in 2° 40' S. lat., 14° 30' E. long., and flowing north-west and west, finally curves round by the south to Nazareth Bay, on the north side of Cape Lopez. It forms a wide delta of some 70 sq. m. in extent. During July-September it shrinks to a narrow current; at other times it is a deep, broad stream; but numerous islands and sandbanks and shallows prevent vessels of any size from ascending. It has been dominated by France, through her colony on the Gaboon (q.v.), since 1885.