Olmutz, a town of Moravia, Austria, on the March, 129 miles NNE. of Vienna. The country round can be laid under water, and during 1839-75 the old walls and moats were superseded by an outer cordon of forts. Chief buildings are the 14th-century cathedral (restored 1887); the church of St Maurice (1472), whose organ has 48 stops and 2342 pipes; the noble town-hall, with a steeple 255 feet high; the archiepiscopal palace; and the lofty Trinity column on the Oberring. The university (1581-1855) is reduced to a theological faculty, with 200 students and a library of 75,000 volumes. Pop. 22,176. Olmutz, which in 1640 was superseded by Brunn as capital of Moravia, suffered severely in both the Thirty and the Seven Years' Wars.
Olney, a pleasant little town of Buckinghamshire, on the Ouse, 11 miles W. by N. of Bedford and 10 SE. of Northampton. At the corner of the market-place still stands the house where Cowper lived from 1767 to 1786, writing with John Newton the Olney Hymns (1779). The place has memories of Scott the commentator, of Carey, and many more missionaries. Brewing and bootmaking are industries. Pop. 2349. See Thomas Wright's Town of Cowper (1886).
Oloron (Olorong'), a town in the French dep. of Basses-Pyrenees, on the Gave d'Oloron, 22 miles by rail SW. of Pau. Pop. 7266.
Olten, a Swiss town, on the Aar, 23 miles SE. of Basel. Pop. 6980.
Olympia, scene of the Olympic games, was a beautiful valley of Elis, in the Peloponnesus, watered by the Alpheus. Great excavations have been carried out by the Germans since 1875.
Omagh (O'ma or O-ma'; Gael. Oigh magh, 'seat of the chiefs'), county town of Tyrone, on the Strule, 34 miles S. of Londonderry and 110 NNW. of Dublin. It grew up around an abbey founded in 792. On its evacuation by the troops of James II. in 1689 it was partially burned, and a second fire in 1743 completed its destruction. But it was well rebuilt. Pop. 4790.
Omaha, the chief city of Nebraska, is on the right bank of the Missouri, by rail 495 miles W. of Chicago and 501 NW. of St Louis. It is the terminus of four important railways, and the Missouri is spanned by a bridge (2750 feet, cost $1,250,000) to Council Bluffs, where a number of others (including the Union Pacific) start. The city is built on a plateau 80 feet above the river, and has wide streets and street railways. Among the large buildings are the city-hall, U. S. courthouse and post-office, Chamber of Commerce (1885), Exposition (1886), Creighton College, the high school, etc. The manufactures comprise linseed-oil, boilers, safes, etc.; but Omaha, founded in 1854, became famous for the largest silver-smelting works in the world, and the third largest pork-packing business in the States. Near it are the headquarters of the military department of the Platte. Pop. (1860) 1912; (1870) 16,083; (1880) 30,518; (1900) 102,555.