Ostend', a fashionable watering-place in the Belgian province of West Flanders, on the German Ocean, 77 miles by rail WNW. of Brussels. Its Digue, or sea-wall, 3 miles long, 40 feet high, and 35 yards broad, forms a favourite promenade, as also do the two Estacades, or wooden piers, projecting on both sides of the harbour's entrance. Two spacious floating basins for the Dover mail-packets (a four hours' passage) were completed in 1874; and as a station also for London steamers, and the terminus of various lines of railway, Ostend is a lively and active place of transport traffic (butter, rabbits, oysters, &c), and the resort in the season (July to September) of 16,000 to 20,000 visitors from all parts of the Continent. It is, moreover, an important fishing-station, and has a good school of navigation, a handsome Cursaal (1878), an hotel-de-ville (1711), a fish-market, and a lighthouse (1771; 175 feet). The manufactures include linen, sailcloth, candles, and tobacco. Pop. (1S74) 16,533; (1900) 39,484. Dating from 1072, Ostend is memorable for the protracted siege by the Spaniards which it underwent from 7th July 1601 to 20th September 1604. Twice again it surrendered - to the Allies in 1706, and to the French in 1745. The fortifications have been demolished since 1865.