Otterburn, a small village in Redesdale, Northumberland, 16 miles S. of the Border, and 32 miles NW. of Newcastle, on the benty uplands a little to the west of which, during the moonlit night of 19th August 1388, 2300 Scots under the Earls of Douglas, Dunbar, and Moray, defeated 8600 English under Harry Percy (' Hotspur'), the latter being made prisoner, and Douglas slain. See Robert White's monograph (1857).
Ott'ery St Mary, a town of Devonshire, on the river Otter, 11 miles (15 by rail) E. of Exeter. Twice the scene of a great conflagration, in 1767 and 1866, it retains its magnificent collegiate church, a reduced copy of the cathedral of Exeter (q.v.), with the only other transeptal towers in England. Begun about 1260 by Bishop Brones-combe, it is Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular in style, and was restored by Butter-field in 1849-50. The Old King's Grammar-school was demolished in 1884. Alexander Barclay was a priest here; Coleridge was a native; and 'Clavering' in Pendennis is Ottery St Mary, the Devonshire residence of Thackeray's stepfather. Silk shoe-laces, handkerchiefs, and Honiton lace are manufactured. Pop. 3500.
Ottoman Empire. See Turkey.
Ottum'wa, capital of Wapello county, Iowa, on the Des Moines River, 75 miles by rail W. by N. of Burlington, in the heart of the state's bituminous coalfields. The residence portion extends along the high bluffs. A number of railways meet here. Great dams concentrate the river's water-power; and there are planing, flour, starch, and linseed-oil mills, foundries, plough, cutlery, and screen factories, bridge-works, cooperages, manufactories of furniture, boilers, etc, and a pork-packing establishment. Pop. 20,000.
Oudenardo (Fr. pron. Ood'nard; Flemish Ow-de-nar'day), a town of Belgium, on the Scheldt, 37 miles W. of Brussels. It has a fine flamboyant Gothic town-hall (1535) and two interesting churches. Margaret of Parma was born here. Pop. 6200. In 1706 Oudenarde was taken by Marlborough; and a French attempt to retake it brought about the third of Marlborough's four great victories over the French, 11th July 1708.
Oulton, (1) a Suffolk parish, on Oulton Broad, 2 1/2 miles W. of Lowestoft. George Borrow lived and died here. - (2) A village in Rothwell parish, West Riding of Yorkshire, 5 1/2 miles ESE. of Leeds. Richard Bentley was born here.
Oundle, a small but ancient and pleasant town of Northamptonshire, 13 miles SW. of Peterborough by rail, has an old church, partly Early English and partly Decorated, restored in 1864. Lace is made. Here St Wilfrid died. Laxton's Grammar-school dates from 1550. Pop. 2480.