Pali, the commercial capital of Jodhpur (q.v.), 45 miles by rail SE. of Jodhpur city.
Pallice, La, a harbour opened in 1889 for large vessels trading to La Rochelle (3 miles distant).
Palma, (1) capital of Majorca (q.v.) and of the Balearic Islands, stands on the Bay of Palma, on the south coast. The Gothic cathedral dates from 1232-1601. The tomb of Raymond Lully is in the church of St Francis. There is a beautiful exchange (1426-46), an old Moorish palace, and a 16th-century town-hall. Population, 65,000,manu-facturing silks, woollens, jewellery, etc. The port is protected by a mole, and the town by a wall and batteries. - (2) A town of Sicily, 14 miles SE. of Girgenti. Pop. 14,702. - (3) The name of one of the larger of the Canary Islands (q.v.).
Palmbeach, a fashionable watering-place of Dade county, on the Atlantic coast of Florida, 65 miles N. of Miami. Pop. 300, multiplied many times in the season.
Palmerston. See also Port Darwin.
Palmy'ra, in the 2d and 3d centuries a magnificent city of northern Syria, situated in an oasis on the edge of the Arabian desert, 150 miles NE. of Damascus. The Semitic name was Tadmor, Palmyra (='city of palms') being the Greek and Latin equivalent. Magnificent remains of the ancient city still exist, chief among them being the great temple of the Sun (or Baal); the great colonnade, nearly a mile long, and consisting originally of some 1500 Corinthian columns; and sepulchral towers, overlooking the city.
Palni Hills, a range of southern India, linking the southern ends of the Eastern and Western Ghats; height of the higher ridge, 7000 feet.
Palos (Pah'los), a Spanish port at the mouth of the Rio Tinto, 5 miles SE. of Huelva. Once an important place, whence Columbus started on his great voyage, it has now sunk to a village of 1422 inhabitants.
Pamlico Sound, a shallow body of water, some 75 by 10 to 25 miles, on the coast of North Carolina, separated from the ocean by long, narrow islands of sand, with narrow passages.
Pampelu'na, or Pamplona, a fortified city of northern Spain, stands on a tributary of the Ebro, 111 miles by rail NW. of Saragossa, and 50 S. by W. of Bayonne in France. It has a citadel (a copy of that of Antwerp), a Gothic cathedral (1397), a viceregal palace, a fine aqueduct, and some manufactures. Pompeiopolis was built by Pompey in 68 B.C. From 907 it was the capital of Navarre. Pop. 30,988.