Mississippi, formed by the junction of the Leaf and Chickasawha. It flows 85 miles south to a small bay on the Gulf of Mexico.
Pasco. See Cerro de Pasco.
Pas-de-Calais (Pah-de-Calay'; originally the name of the Strait of Dover), a dep. in the north of France, formed out of Artois and Picardy. Area, 2550 sq. m.; pop. (1861) 724,338; (1901) 949,968. There are six arrondissements - Arras (the capital), Bethune, St Omer, St Pol, Boulogne, and Montreuil.
Passage, a fishing-village, 6 miles SE. of Waterford. Pop. 530.
Passage West, a seaport, 7 miles SE. of Cork. Pop. 2030.
Passa'ic, a city of New Jersey, on the Passaic River, 11 miles by rail NW. of Jersey City. It has foundries and print-works, and manufactures woollens and shoddy, whips, india-rubber, chemicals, etc. Pop. (1880) 6532; (1900) 27,777.
Passamaquoddy Bay, in North America, opens out of the Bay of Fundy, at the mouth of the St Croix River, between Maine and New Brunswick. It is 15 miles long by 10 wide, and shut in by a cluster of islands.
Passau (Passow'), a town of Bavaria, stands on a rocky tongue of land, on the right bank of the Danube, beside the influx of the Inn; close to the Austrian frontier, 72 miles by rail SE. of Ratisbon. The cathedral was rebuilt after a fire in 1680; the bishop's palace is now in part public offices. Passau was long an important fortified post, being the key of the Danube in that part of its course. There were two strong citadels, one dating from 737, the other from 1215-19. The town grew up around an old Roman camp, and in 739 was made the seat of a bishopric founded by St Boniface. Bavarian since 1803, it manufactures leather, porcelain, parquet-floors, boats, metal-ware, and mirrors. Pop. 18,633.
Passy, a western suburb of Paris (q.v.).
Pasto, a town in the south-west of Colombia, in a fertile valley 8350 feet above sea-level. Above it rises the volcano of Pasto (14,000 feet above the sea). Pop. 10,000.
Paterson, capital of Passaic county, New Jersey, is on the Passaic River (which here has a perpendicular fall of 50 feet), and on the Morris Canal (connecting it with the Delaware River), 15 miles by rail NW. of New York City. It has locomotive-works, an iron-forge and rolling-mill, and manufactures cotton, paper, linens, and woollens, etc.; but chiefly it is famous for its more than 100 silk-factories, which have made it 'the Lyons of America.' Pop. (1870) 33,579; (1880) 51,031; (1890) 78,347; (1900) 105,171.