Patmos (mod. Patino), a rocky and barren island, in the Aegean Sea, one of the Sporades, lies to the south of Samos. Area, 16 sq. m. The apostle John, exiled hither, saw here the visions of the Apocalypse. On a mountain stands the monastery of 'John the Divine,' built in 1088. The island is under Turkish rule, but is inhabited by about 4000 Greek sponge-fishers.
Patras', or PatrAe, the chief seaport in the west of Greece, on the S. shore of the Gulf of Patras, by rail 81 miles W. by N. of Corinth and 137 W. by N. of Athens, is the seat of an archbishop, and has a spacious harbour (1880) protected by a mole. It ships great quantities of currants, also olive-oil, wine, valonia, etc. Pop. (1879) 25,494; (1897) 37,960. PatrAe alone of the ' twelve cities' of Achaia still exists as a town.
Pattan. See Patan.
Pau (Po), the chief town of the French dep. of Basses-Pyrenees, on the right bank of the Gave-de-Pau, 66 miles by rail ESE. of Bayonne and 143 SSE. of Bordeaux. It occupies a rocky height, 623 feet above sea-level, and commands magnificent views of the Pyrenees. The ancient capital of the kingdom of Beam and French Navarre, it has a noble five-towered castle. Rebuilt about 1363 by the Comte de Foix, and restored by Louis-Philippe and Napoleon III., this castle was the birthplace of Henri IV., as also of his mother Jeanne d'Albret; and Abd-el-Kader was a prisoner here in 1848. Bernadotte was a native. Linen and chocolate are manufactured; and in the vicinity Jurancon wine is grown, and many swine are fed. Pau is a great English resort, especially during the winter season (October to May), and is famous for its golf-links. Pop. (1872) 25,607; (1901) 30,811. See a work by Count Henry Russell (new ed. 1891).
Pawtuck'et, a city of Rhode Island, on the Pawtucket River, 4 miles by rail N. of Providence. On account of a fall of nearly 50 feet on the river, it was made in 1790 the site of the first cotton-factory in the United States. It now contains numerous large mills, where cottons, woollens, haircloth, and thread are manufactured, besides great calico-printing works, and bleaching and dyeing establishments, etc. Pawtucket, settled about 1655, became a city in 1886. Pop. (1870) 6619; (1900) 39,231.