Peeblesshire, or Tweeddale, a southern county of Scotland, bounded by Edinburgh, Selkirk, Dumfries, and Lanark shires. Irregular in outline, it has a maximum length and breadth of 29 and 21 miles, and an area of 356 sq. m. or 227,869 acres. The Tweed, rising in the extreme south, winds 36 miles NNE. and E., descending therein from 1500 to 450 feet; and from it the surface rises into big, round, grassy hills - Windlestraw Law (2161 feet), Minchmoor (1856), Hartfell (2651), Broad Law (2754), etc. Among the Tweed's numberless affluents are Talla, Biggar, Lyne, Manor, Eddleston, Leithen, and Quair Waters; and St Mary's Loch touches the southern boundary. Less than one-fifteenth of the entire area is under corn and root crops; but nearly 200,000 sheep graze on the hillsides. The antiquities include over fifty hill-forts, the 'Romanno terraces,' a Roman camp at Lyne, the ruined castles of Neidpath and Drochil, and the old mansion of Traquair. Peebles and Innerleithen are the towns. The county unites with Selkirkshire to return one member. Pop. (1801) 8735; (1841) 10,499; (1901) 15,066.