Pendennis Castle. See Falmouth.
Pendle Hill. See Clitheroe.
Peniche (Pay-nee'shay), a seaport in the Portuguese province of Estremadura. Pop. 2969.
Penicuik (Pennycook), a town of Edinburghshire, on the North Esk, 10 miles S. of Edinburgh by road, but 16 by a branch line (1872). It has a Romanesque church-tower and large paper-mills, dating from 1709; whilst 2 miles NNE. are Glen-corse barracks (1804-82), originally a depot for French prisoners. Pop. (1841) 907; (1901) 3574. See Wilson's Annals of Penicuik (1891).
Penjdeh, an important strategical position, near the fork of the Khushk and Murghab rivers, was seized from Afghanistan by the Russians in March 1885, and since 1887 has been formally included in Russian Turkestan.
Penmaenmawr, a Carnarvonshire watering-place (pop. 3510) 4 miles SW. of Conway by rail. On Penmaenmawr mountain (1553 feet), the northern extremity of the Snowdon group, are remains of a great British fort, Dinas Penmaen.
Pennar, or Punnair, two rivers of southern India, both running eastwards through Madras Presidency to the Indian Ocean - the first (355 miles) a little N. of Nellore, the second (245) N. of Cuddalore.
Pennine Alps. See Alps.
Pennsylvania Castle. See Portland (Isle).
Penob'scot, a river of Maine. The West Branch rises near the Canadian frontier, and flows E. and SE. to meet the East Branch or Seboois River. Afterwards its course is SSW. to Penobscot Bay, a broad and sheltered inlet of the Atlantic, 35 miles long and 20 wide, with numerous islands. The river is tidal and navigable for large vessels to Bangor, 60 miles from its mouth.