Penzance' (Corn., 'holy headland'), a town of Cornwall, the most westerly in England, at the head of Mount's Bay, 10 miles ENE. of Land's End, 80 W. by S. of Plymouth, and 328 (by road 281) WSW. of London. Standing on a finely-curved shore surrounded by rocky eminences, it is famous for its mild, equable climate, though the annual rainfall is heavy (43 inches). Its fine esplanade commands splendid land and sea views; and its chief buildings, constructed largely of granite, include a market-hall (1837) with a statue before it of Sir Humphry Davy (a native), an infirmary (1874), a post-office (1883), and public rooms (1867), Italian Renaissance in style, and comprising a guildhall, museum, library, etc. The harbour has two piers (1772-1845) half a mile long, forming a tidal basin of 21 acres; and docks have been added since 1882. Penzance is a headquarters of the mackerel and pilchard fisheries; market-gardening is an important industry; and of recent years the place has grown much in favour as a watering-place. Burned by Spaniards in 1595, and sacked by Fairfax in 1646, it was incorporated in 1614, and from 1663 to 1838 was one of the five 'coinage towns.' Pop. (1851) 9214; (1901) 13,136. See works by Lach-Szyrma (1878) and Millett (1876-80).