Perm, a town of Russia, on the Kama, by which it is 685 miles NE. of Kazan. It is the chief seat of the extensive transit trade between European Russia and Siberia, and has a cathedral, tanneries, distilleries, flour-mills, oil-works, and a government arsenal and cannon-foundry. Pop. 45,400. - The government has an area of 128,173 sq. m. and a pop. of 3,003,300.
Pernow (Ger. Pernau), a seaport of the Baltic Provinces of Russia, stands at the mouth of the river Pernow, at the northern extremity of the Gulf of Riga, 100 miles N. of Riga. Besides linseed and barley, it ships large quantities of flax, principally to Great Britain. Pop. 12,918.
Perpignan (Per-peen-yong'), a town and a fortress in the French dep. of Pyrenees-Orientales, stands on the river Tet, 7 miles from the Mediterranean, 40 by rail S. of Narbonne, and 17 from the Spanish frontier. It commands the passes of the Eastern Pyrenees, and is defended on the south by a citadel, which encloses the old castle of the Counts of Roussillon, and by a detached fort. There are a cathedral (begun in 1324), the Moorish-Gothic cloth-hall or bourse (1396), a town-house (1692), the building of a former university (1349 - French Revolution), a palace of justice, and a college. The industries include the making of good red wine, brandy, cloth, etc. As capital of the former county of Roussillon, Perpignan was in the hands of the kings of Aragon from 1172 to its capture by France in 1475; it was restored to Spain in 1493; but Richelieu retook it in 1642. Pop. 32,950.
Perranza'buloe ('Perran in the sands'), a Cornish coast parish, 10 miles N. by W. of Truro. The rude little stone oratory (25 by 12 1/2 feet) of St Piran, sent to Cornwall by St Patrick in the 5th century, had been buried in the sands for a thousand years, when it was discovered in 1835. Perran Round is a circular enclosure, with seven rows of seats that could seat 2000, in which miracle plays were performed of old. See works by Haslam (1844) and Trelawny (8th ed. 1884).
Pershore, a pleasant, old-fashioned market-town of Worcestershire (q.v.), in a fruit-growing district, on the Avon, 9 miles SE. of Worcester. Holy Cross, the church of a Benedictine abbey, originally founded in 689, is but a fragment-choir, south transept, and central tower, mainly Decorated in style. It was restored by Scott in 1863-65. Pershore manufactures stockings and farm implements. Pop. of parish, 2500. See a work by Styles (1838).
Perth Amboy, a port of entry of New Jersey, opposite South Amboy on the other side of the mouth of the Raritan River, on the Kill van Kull, 26 miles by rail SW. of New York. There is a steam-ferry to Tottenville on Staten Island opposite. The manufactures include corks, bricks, white-ware, and drain-pipes. Pop. 17,700.