Perugia (Per-oo'ja), a city of Italy, stands (1600 feet above sea-level) on the Tiber's right bank, 11 miles E. of the Lake of Perugia (anc. Lacus Trasimenus) and 127 miles by rail N. of Rome. It is surrounded with walls pierced by gates, one of them very ancient. The broad Corso unites two squares, in one of which stands the Gothic cathedral, dating from the end of the 15th century, and adorned with many paintings, carvings, etc. The church of St Dominic (1632) contains the tomb of Pope Benedict XI. by Giovanni Pisano, and stained windows (1402); the remarkable church of St Peter (11th c.) has granite pillars and pictures by Raphael, Peru-gino, Parmigiano. In the cathedral square stand also the Gothic municipal palace (1281); the great fountain, adorned with statues by Niccolo and Giovanni Pisano; the statue of Pope Julius III. (1555), described in Hawthorne's Marble Faun; and the old money-changers' hall (1453-57), decorated with some of Perugino's best works. In the vicinity of the city many Etruscan tombs were discovered in 1840; they contained cinerary urns, lamps, vases, bronze armour, ornaments, etc. The university (1307) has 21 teachers and 160 students, a botanical garden, an observatory, a library (1852) of 30,000 vols., etc. Silk and woollen goods, wax-candles, and liqueurs are manufactured. Pop. 61,3S5. Perugia (anc. Perusia) was one of the twelve Etrurian cities. It was captured by the Romans in 310 b.c. and in 40 B.C., and by Totila (549 a.d.). At different periods it was subjected to the popes, at other times it was in the power of native despots, and in 1860 it was made a part of the kingdom of Italy. In the 15th century it became the centre of the Umbrian school of painting.
Perugia, Lake of. See Trasimene Lake.