Pillar Mountain, in Ennerdale, Cumberland, 2927 feet high.
Pilsen, the second town of Bohemia, in a fertile and beautiful valley, 67 miles by rail SW. of Prague. There are numerous active industries, producing building materials, machinery, metal-work, porcelain, spirits, liqueurs, leather, etc. In the neighbourhood are mines of iron, alum, vitriol, coal, and sulphuric acid; and the town gives its name to the best Bohemian beer. Pilsen was stormed by Ziska in the Hussite War and by Count Mansfeld in the Thirty Years' War (1618); it was Wallenstein's headquarters in 1633-34. Pop. (1869) 23,681; (1900) 68,079.
Pim'lico, a district of Westminster, south of the Green Park.
Pindus. See Greece, p. 311.
Pine Bluff, capital of Jefferson county, Arkansas, on a high bluff on the S. bank of the Arkansas River, 120 miles from its mouth, and 43 by rail SSE. of Little Rock. It ships cotton, and manufactures iron, cotton-seed oil, flour, bricks, etc. Pop. (1880) 3203; (1900) 11,500.
Pinero'lo, or Pignerol, a cathedral city of north Italy, at the east foot of the Alps, 23 miles SW. of Turin. From 1042 a town of Savoy, it was until 1713 strongly fortified, having a citadel, in which the Man with the Iron Mask, Lauzun, and Fouquet were imprisoned. This fortress was in French hands, 1536-74, 1630-96, 1704-6, and 1801-14. Cloth, paper, leather, cotton, and silk are manufactured. Pop. 18,000.
Pinos (Pee'nos), Isla de, a Spanish island in the West Indies, south of Cuba, of which it is the largest dependency. Discovered by Columbus in 1494, it is part low and swampy, and part hilly (1500 feet). Area, 1200 sq. m.;'pop. 2200.
Piombino (P'yombee'no), a former principality of Italy, lies opposite the island of Elba. Its extent was 139 sq. m.; and its pop., previous to its incorporation with Italy in 1860, about 25,000. The town of Piombino, on a promontory 50 miles S. of Leghorn, is connected by a branch-line (1892) with Campiglia, and is the seat of large iron-rolling mills. Pop. 8000.