Piotrkow (Ger. Petrikau), a town of Russian Poland, 87 miles by rail SW. of Warsaw. Pop. 32,200. - The government has an area of 4730 sq. m. and a population of 1,410,000, and is a centre of the cotton and woollen industries.
Piraeus (Pye-ree'us; Gr. Peiraieus), called also Port Draco, the harbour of Athens since the days of Pericles; this ruler and Cimon before him built the three 'long walls' that connected it with the capital (5 miles to the NE.), and so ensured a safe passage from one to the other. Its fortifications were destroyed by Sulla in 86 B.C., and from that time the town sank into decay. The modern Piraeus, which has grown up since 1834, is a mean-looking place, with a naval and military school, arsenal depots, and some manufactures. A railway connects it with Athens, and with the Turkish frontier. The imports include coal, railway plant, petroleum, sheep, and cattle; the exports, tobacco, valonia, hides, bones, horns, cheese, wool, etc. Pop. (1871) 11,000; (1879) 21,055; (1900) 42,169.
Pirmasens (Peer-mah'zens), a town of the Bavarian Palatinate, 34 miles by rail W. of Landau. It manufactures shoes and musical instruments. Close by the Prussians defeated the French in 1793. Pop. 30,200.
Pirna, a Saxon town, stands on the Elbe's left bank, 11 miles by rail SE. of Dresden. Here are a line 16th-century church; a castle (1573), used as a lunatic asylum since 1811; manufactures of glass, chemicals, tobacco, stoves, etc.; and great sandstone-quarries. Pop. 18,898.
Pisgah, the mountain-range to the east of the Lower Jordan, also called Abarim, one of whose summits is Mount Nebo (2644 feet).
Pishin, a district of Southern Afghanistan, just north of Quetta, which has been governed by a British political agent since 1878. Area, 3600 sq. m.; elevation, 5000 feet; pop. 60,000. A branch of the Indus line traverses it.