Poole, a Dorset seaport, 5 miles W. of Bournemouth and 30 E. of Dorchester. It stands on the north side of Poole Harbour (7 by 4 1/4 miles), an irregular inlet, formed by the projection of the 'isle' of Purbeck, almost dry at low-water, and having four tides a day. On Brownsea or Brank-sea Island, just within the narrow entrance to the harbour, is a castle dating from the time of Henry VIII. Poole itself has an old town-hall (1572), a guildhall (1761), a town-house (1822), shipping, yacht-building, and trade in potter's and pipe clay. The men of Poole were great fighters in days of old by land and sea, as buccaneers, smugglers, and Cromwellian soldiery. There was 'Arripay,' or Harry Page, who about 1400 kept the seas against France and Spain; and there was William Thompson, who, with a man and a boy, captured a French privateer in 1695. Till 1867 the borough returned two members, and then till 1885 one. Pop. (1851) 9255; (1901) 19,463. See works by Hutchins (1788), Sydenham (1839), and Brannon (3d ed. 1859).