Port Durnford, a harbour in British East Africa, on an indentation of the coast a little more than 1° S. of the equator.
Port Elizabeth, a seaport of Cape Colony, on the western shore of Algoa Bay, 85 miles by rail SW. of Graham's Town and 350 S. of Kimberley. Founded in 1820, it is the principal seaport of the east part of Cape Colony, and also of the Orange River Free State. Its public buildings are the town-house, the provincial hospital, churches, the Grey Institute, a college, a library (20,000 volumes), a museum, etc. Two piers were constructed in 1881; and an aqueduct, 28 miles long (1878), brings good water. The exports include wool, ostrich-feathers, Angora goats' hair, and diamonds. Pop. (1875) 13,649; (1904) 32,921.
Port-Glasgow, a town of Renfrewshire, on the southern shore of the Firth of Clyde, 3 miles ESE. of Greenock and 20 WNW. of Glasgow. It was founded in 1668 by the magistrates of Glasgow as a harbour for their city, the deepening of the Clyde (q.v.) not having yet been thought of. In 1710 it was constituted the head custom-house on the Clyde, and for a while took the lead of Greenock; in 1775 it was incorporated as a municipality; and by the Reform Bill of 1832 it unites with Kilmarnock, etc. to return one member. Built on low alluvial ground, and backed by hills 700 feet high, it has a Doric town-house (1815), a public hall (1873), ruined Newark Castle (1597), a wet-dock of 12 acres (formed since 1834), a large graving-dock (1874), extensive timber-ponds, shipbuilding-yards, iron and brass foundries, etc. Pop. (1841) 6938; (1881) 10,802; (1901) 16,840. '
Port Gordon, a Banffshire fishing-village, 2 1/2 miles SW. of Buckie. Pop. 1204.
Port Hamilton, a spacious, well-sheltered harbour, formed by three islands of the Nan-how group, 30 miles S. of Corea, and 45 NE. of Quel-part. It was discovered and named by Belcher in 1845, and held by Britain in 1885-86.
Porthleven, a Cornish seaport, 2 1/2 miles WSW. of Hilston.