Putrid Sea. See Azov.
Puy (Pwee), Le, or Le Puy-en-Velay, a French town (dep. Haute-Loire), 70 miles SW. of Lyons by rail, stands at the base and on the steep slopes of Mount Anis (2050 feet), from whose summit starts up precipitously the basaltic mass called Mont Corneille, crowned by a colossal figure (53 feet) of the Virgin, made of Russian cannon brought from Sebastopol. The most notable building is the Romanesque cathedral (6th-12th century), in the highest part of the town. Lace and thread work are manufactured. Pop. 17,000.
Puy-de-D6me (Pwee-de-Dome), a central dep. of France. Area, 3070 sq. m.; population, 550,000. The western side is an elevated volcanic region, studded with numerous extinct cones; the highest Puy-de-Sancy (6188 feet). The principal rivers are the Allier, a tributary of the Loire, and the Dordogne. The dep. is subdivided into the arrondissements of Ambert, Clermont-Ferrand (the capital), Issoire, Riom, and Thiers.
Pwllheli (Pool-hay'lee), a Welsh seaport and watering-place, 22 miles by rail S. by W. of Carnarvon, with lobster and oyster fisheries. It is a municipal borough, uniting with Carnarvon, etc. to return one member. Pop. 3631.
Pyrenees (Pee-ray-nay'), Basses, a dep. of SW. France, having the Bay of Biscay on the west. Area, 2946 sq. m.; population, 427,000. It is divided into the arrondissements of Pau (the capital), Oloron, Orthez, Bayonne, and Mauleon.
Pyrenees, Hautes, a dep. of France, lying east of Basses-Pyrenees, is part of the old province of Gascony. Area, 1749 sq. m.; population, 215,000. Its arrondissements are Tarbes (the capital), Argeles, and Bagneres de Bigorre.
Pyrenees- Orientales (Pee-ray-nayz' -O-ri-ong-tahl'), a southern dep. of France, bounded E. by the Mediterranean. Area, 1591 sq. m.; population, 213,000. Its arrondissements are Perpignan (the capital), Prades, and Ceret.
Pyrmont (Peer-mont'). See Waldeck.
Pytchley, a village of Northants, 3 miles SW. of Kettering, whence the Pytchley Hunt takes name. See a work by Nethercote (1888).
QUANGTUNG. See Canton.
Quantocks, a Somerset range of hills, extending 8 miles NNW. to the coast near Watchet, and culminating in Wills Neck (1262 feet). They have memories of Coleridge and Wordsworth.
Quatre-Bras (Kahtr-Brah), a village of Belgium, 10 miles SSE. of Waterloo, situated at the intersection of the great roads from Brussels to Char-leroi, and from Nivelles to Namur, whence its name ('four arms'). Here, on 16th June 1815, two days before Waterloo, the English under Wellington defeated the French under Ney. A monument to the Duke of Brunswick, a bronze lion 10 1/2 feet high, was erected in 1890.