Qued'linburg (u as oo), a town of Prussia, at the N. base of the Harz Mountains, 56 miles SB. of Brunswick, founded by Henry the Fowler in 924. On an eminence stands the old castle of its abbesses, in whose chapel rest Henry I., his wife Matilda, and the Countess of Konigsmark. Here Klopstock and Karl Ritter were born. The town manufactures sugar, wire goods, and farinaceous foods. Pop. 24,761.
Queen Charlotte's Islands, a group N. of Vancouver Island, off British Columbia. Area, 5100 sq. m. The two chief islands, Graham and Moresby, are 160 miles long and nearly 70 broad. Anthracite, coal, copper and iron ore, and gold-bearing quartz are found. Pop. 2000 Indians. - Queen Charlotte's Sound is a strait separating Vancouver Island, on the N., from the mainland.
Queen's County, an inland county of Leinster, is bounded by King's County, Kilkenny, and Tipperary, and measures 33 miles by 37. Area, 424,854 acres. Pop. (1841) 153,988; (1861) 90,650; (1901) 57,225, of whom 50,000 were Catholics. Nearly 14 1/2 per cent. of the total area is barren. Queen's County is, for the most part, within the basin of the Barrow, and is flat and, except where bogs prevail, fertile. It is also drained by the Nore and crossed by the Grand Canal. On the north-western border lie the Slieve Bloom Mountains (1734 feet). Coal occurs in the south-east. Agriculture is the principal occupation; there is much dairy-farming. This district was made a shire in honour of Queen Mary, from whom also the chief town, Maryborough (pop. 2960), was called. The county returns two members.
Queensferry, a town of Linlithgowshire, 9 miles WNW. of Edinburgh, on the south shore of the Firth of Forth, which here is crossed by the great Forth Bridge (q.v.). Named after St Margaret; it has been a burgh of royalty since 1363, a royal burgh since about 1639, and a police-burgh since 1882; with Stirling, etc. it returns one member. It has remains of a Carmelite friary, converted in 1890 into an Episcopal church, and a new town-hall (1894); and one of its hotels is the Hawes Inn of Scott's Antiquary. Pop. 1831. - North Queensferry is in Fife, at the other end of the bridge. Pop. 510.
Queenstown, an Irish seaport, on the south side of Great Island, in Cork harbour, 12 miles by rail SE. of Cork and 177 SW. of Dublin. Its original name was Cove of Cork; the present name commemorates the visit of Queen Victoria in 1849. The town is built in parallel streets on the slopes of a hill shaped like an amphitheatre. Its climate enjoys a high reputation. The splendid Catholic cathedral for Cloyne diocese is the principal building. Queenstown is an important port of call, the mails from the United States being landed here and sent overland by rail to Dublin; while the British mails are in part taken on board here. Pop. (1871) 10,334; (1891) 9082; (1901) 7909.