Quorra, one of the several names borne by the Niger (q.v.) in its upper course.
RAAB (Rahb; Hung. Gyor), a town of Hungary, at the confluence of the Raab and the Little Danube, 67 miles WNW. of Buda-Pesth. It has a beautiful cathedral, and manufactures tobacco and cutlery. Pop. 27,795.
Raalte (Rahl-teh), a Dutch town, 11 miles NNE. of Deventer. Pop. 5795.
Raasay (Rah'zay), an Inverness-shire island, between Skye and the Scottish mainland. It is 13 miles long from N. to S., 3 1/2 miles in greatest breadth, and 24 sq. m. in area. Pop. (1841) 647; (1901) 419. Dun Caan (1456 feet) is the highest point, and ruined Brochel Castle on the east shore the chief object of interest.
Rabat, or New Sallee, a port of Morocco, at the mouth of the Ragreb, opposite Sallee (q.v.). It stands on cliffs amidst gardens, and has a fort and the ruins of the Sultan's palace. It was once the chief port for European commerce, but its harbour is silted up. Pop. 21,000.
Race, Cape. See Newfoundland.
Racine (Ra-seen'), capital of Racine county, Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan, and on both sides of Root River, which is crossed by five swing bridges, and forms a good harbour. By rail it is 62 miles N. of Chicago and 23 S. of Milwaukee. Racine has a handsome post-office and city hall, a hospital, the Taylor Orphan Asylum, an Episcopal University (1852), a trade in lumber, flax, flour, and woollen mills, and manufactories of ploughs, boilers, pumps, wagons, linseed-oil, hardware, wire-work, cordage, furniture, refrigerators, boots, rubber, etc. Pop. 29,014.
Racow (Ra-kof'), a village in the south of the Polish government of Radom, was in the 16th century a Socinian centre. Pop. 2109.
Radcliffe, a town of SE. Lancashire, on the Irwell, 2 1/2 miles SSW. of Bury and 7 NNW. of Manchester. It has an ancient parish church (restored 1873), a ruined tower, a market-hall (1852), a co-operative hall (1878), cotton and calico works, bleachfields, and neighbouring coal-mines. Pop. (1851) 5002; (1901) 25,368.
Radley, a Berkshire parish, near the right bank of the Thames, 5 miles S. of Oxford. The Bowyers' seat here was in 1847 converted into a High Church public school - St Peter's College - for 130 boarders. It has a fine chapel. Pop. 733.