Rad'om, a town of Poland, on a sub-tributary of the Vistula, 60 miles S. of Warsaw. Pop. 28,750. - Area of government of Radom, 4768 sq. m.; pop. 825,000, Radstock, a town of Somerset, 7 miles NW. of Frome. Pop. 3400.
Ragatz, a spa in the Swiss canton of St Gall, 68 miles by rail SB. of Zurich and 13 N. by W. of Chur (Coire); it stands at the mouth of the ravine leading to Pfaffers (q.v.), whence it gets its healing waters by a pipe (1838-40) 2 1/2 miles long. Schelling is buried here. Pop. 1896.
Raichur, a town of Hyderabad; pop. 22,174.
Rainham Hall, Norfolk, the seat (1632) of the Marquis of Townshend, 3 1/2 miles SW. of Faken-ham.
Rainier, Mount. See Cascade Range.
Rajamahendri (nearly as Rajahmundry), a Madras town, on the Godavari, 30 miles from its mouth. From 1753 to 1758 it was held by the French. Pop. 36,400.
Rajkot, chief town of a native state in Kathi-awar, Bombay; pop. 36,150, Rajmahal, a decayed town of India, on a steep eminence on the right bank of the Ganges, 170 miles NNW. of Calcutta, with the remains of many palaces. In 800 it had 25,000 inhabitants, but now less than 4000.
Rajputana (Radjpootah'na), a territory of India, embracing twenty native states and the British district (2711 sq. m.; pop. 542,35S) of Ajmere-Merwara. It lies between Sind (on the W.) and the Punjab (on the N.). Its total area is 132,979 sq. m., and its total pop. is about 10,000,000. The most important native states are Jaipur, Jodhpur, and Udaipur; next follow Alwar, Bhartpur, Kotah, and Bikaner. This region is crossed by the Aravalli Mountains, and consists in great part of sandy, barren plains. It gets its name from the ruling Aryan race, the Rajputs, a proud aristocracy, who have furnished ruling dynasties to many of the native states.