Reichenhall (Ri'hhen-hal), an Alpine spa in the extreme south-east of Bavaria, 10 miles SW. of Salzburg. It was handsomely rebuilt after the great fire in 1834. It is the chief centre of the Bavarian salt-works, and in the manufacture of salt its inhabitants are mostly employed, though the delightful air of the valley in which it stands, and its fifteen saline springs, attract about 6000 visitors every summer. Pop. 4200.
Reigate (Ri'gayt), a thriving market-town of Surrey, at the southern base of the North Downs, 21 miles S. of London. Of the castle of the Earls of Warrenne little remains save a grassy mound, with large vaults or caverns beneath it. The church, with Transition Norman piers, but mainly Perpendicular, contains the grave of Lord Howard of Effingham, and a library (1701) with some curious MSS. and many of Evelyn's books. Other buildings are the public hall (1861) and the grammar-school (1675). Foxe the martyrologist is claimed for a resident; and Archbishop Usher died here. Till 1832 Reigate returned two members, then one till 1867. It became a municipal borough in 1863. Pop. (1851) 4927; (1901) 25,993.
Reikiavik (Rik'ya-vik). See Iceland.
Reims. See Rheims.
Rembang, a town on the north coast of Java, capital of a residency that has an area of 2896 sq. m. and a pop. of 1,500,000.
Remiremont (Re-meer-mong'), a town of France (dep. Vosges), on the Moselle, 17 miles by rail SE. of Epinal, with sawmills and muslin, cotton, and leather factories. It was the seat of a famous Benedictine nunnery, founded in 620. Pop. 8870.
Renaix (Re-nay') a Belgian town, 25 miles by rail S. by W. of Ghent. Pop. 20,100.
Ren'frew, an ancient royal and parliamentary burgh, the county town of Renfrewshire, stands on the south bank of the Clyde, 6 miles below Glasgow. A knoll called Castlehill marks the site of the original seat of the royal house of Stewart. Anciently the chief port on the Clyde, Renfrew has still a small wharf; and there is some shipbuilding and weaving. It forms one of the Kilmarnock (q.v.) group of burghs. There is a town-hall (1873). Pop. (1841) 2013; (1901) 9296.
Rennes (Renn; the Condate of the Redones), the capital formerly of the province of Brittany, and now of the dep. of Ille-et-Vilaine, is situated at the confluence of those two rivers, 234 miles WSW. of Paris and 51 SSE. of St Malo. A seven days' fire in 1720 destroyed nearly 4000 houses. The most noteworthy of the public buildings are the cathedral, finished in 1844, and Italian in style; Notre Dame, with its dome surmounted by a huge image of the Virgin; the archbishop's palace (1672); the stately Palais de Justice (1618-54); the university buildings (1855); the theatre (1835); the Hotel de Ville, with a public library; and the Lycee. As the focus of railways between Paris and the north-west of France, and commanding good river and canal navigation, Rennes is favourably situated for commerce. The manufactures include sail-cloth, table-linen, etc. Pop. (1872) 48,658; (1901) 64,395.