Rhinns. See Wigtownshire.
Rhodope (Rod'o-pee), the ancient name of a mountain-chain (7474 feet) on the borders of Macedonia and Thrace (between Turkish and Bulgarian territory). The Bulgarians call it Despoto Dagh. Of its many monasteries the chief is the Bulgarian fortress-monastery of Rilo.
Rhondda (Ron'tha) is, since 1894, the official name of an urban district (pop. 115,000) in Glamorgan, South Wales, formerly known as the township of Ystradyfodwg. The Rhondda Valley is a great centre of coal-mining.
Rhuddlan (Hrith'lan), a decayed town of Flintshire, North Wales, on the Clwyd, 8 miles SSE. of Rhyl. Its ruined castle, dating from 1015, and dismantled after its capture by the Roundheads in 1646, was the scene of the betrayal of Richard II. (1399); at the marsh of Morfa Rhuddlan, across the river, Offa defeated Caradoc (795). With Flint, etc, Rhuddlan returns one member. Pop. 1357.
Rhyl (Hril), a watering-place of Flintshire, North Wales, at the mouth of the Clwyd, 30 miles NW. of Chester. A mere fishing-village so late as 1830, it has fine sands, a promenade pier 705 yards long, built in 1867 at a cost of £17,000, an esplanade, an aquarium and winter garden, a dozen hotels, baths, etc.; and, though the country around is flat, it commands fine views of the Snow-donian mountains. Pop. 8500.
Ribble. See Preston.
Richborough. See Sandwich.
Rickmansworth, a town of Hertfordshire, at the confluence of the Colne, Gade, and Chess, 4 miles W. by S. of Watford. It has a church (rebuilt in 1890) with interesting monuments; and near it is Moor Park, the seat of the ill-fated Duke of Monmouth. Population, 5800. See R. Bayne's Historical Sketch (1870).