Riverina (Riveree'na), a name given to the extensive grazing districts in the western part of New South Wales.
Rivieres du Sud (Ree-vee-ehr' du Sud; ' Southern Rivers') was, up till 1893, the name of the coast region of French Guinea, on the west coast of Africa, which lies between Portuguese Guinea and the British colony of Sierra Leone. The district has an area of about 95,000 sq. m., and a population estimated at about 2,200,000. The capital is Konakry. See Guinea, Senegambia.
Rivoli (Ree'vo-lee), a town of northern Italy, 8 miles W. of Turin. Pop. 5314. It was not here, but at another Rivoli, 12 miles NW. of Verona, that Napoleon on 14th and 15th January 1797 defeated the Austrians.
Roanne (Ro-ann'), a town of France (dep. Loire), 52 miles by rail NW. of Lyons, stands on the left bank of the Loire, which here becomes navigable, and is crossed by a stone bridge (1820). It has an old castle, a new hotel-de-ville with a museum, some manufactures, etc. Pop. (1872) 18,615; (1901) 33,775.
Roanoke (Ro-an-oak'), a river of Virginia and North Carolina, formed by the union, a mile above Clarksville, Virginia, of the Dan and Staunton rivers, which rise in the Alleghanies. It flows 230 SE. through the north-eastern portion of North Carolina to Albemarle Sound.
Roanoke, a city of Virginia, on the Roanoke River, 258 miles by rail W. of Norfolk. In 1880 it was a secluded hamlet; by 1890 it was grown to a bustling city, with a court-house, opera-house, hotels, churches, jail, gas and electric lights, large machine-shops, steel and iron works, a rolling-mill, tobacco, spoke, and canning factories, mills, bottle-works, etc. Pop. (18S0) 669; (1890) 16,159; (1900) 21,495.
Roaring Forties, a sailor's term for a region of the great Southern Ocean lying south of 40° S. lat. (especially south of 45°), where the prevailing strong WNW. and NW. winds are often stormy.
Robben Island (Dutch, 'seal island'), an islet of Table Bay, 10 miles NW. of Capetown, with a lunatic asylum and a leper colony.
Robin Hood's Bay, a fishing-village in the North Riding of Yorkshire, 6 3/4 miles SE. of Whitby by the coast railway (1885) to Scarborough. The bay is picturesquely fringed by lofty cliffs, the Old Peak, its southern horn, attaining 585 feet. It owes its name to traditions of Robin Hood, whose arrows shot from the tower of Whitby Priory reached Hawkser, 3 miles distant.
Rocha, a SE. dep. of Uruguay, on the Atlantic. Area, 4280 sq. m.; pop. 30,500.