Rock Island, capital of a county in Illinois, on the Mississippi, opposite Davenport, Iowa (the two are connected by a wrought-iron bridge which cost $1,300,000), 181 miles by rail WSW. of Chicago. The island from which the town is named is used as a public park; on it are also an arsenal and armoury. The channel to the east of the island has been dammed so as to furnish immense water-power, and the city has flour and saw mills, foundries, machine-shops, glass-works, etc. Pop. (1880) 11,659; (1900) 19,500.
Rockland, (1) capital of Knox county, Maine, on the west side of Penobscot Bay, 88 miles by rail ENE. of Portland, with granite quarries, lime-kilns, iron and brass foundries, shipbuilding, etc. Pop. 8174. - (2) Rockland, Massachusetts, 19 miles by rail SSE. of Boston, has large boot and shoe factories. Pop. 5400.
Rock River rises in SE. of Wisconsin, and flows (with many falls) 375 miles S. and SW. through Illinois to the Mississippi, 3 miles below Rock Island.
Rodez (Ro-day'), a town of southern France (dep. Aveyron), stands on a bold bluff encircled by the Aveyron, 148 miles by rail NW. of Mont-pellier. The Gothic cathedral (1277-1535) has a tower 260 feet high, crowned by a colossal image of the Virgin. There are several mediAeval houses, remains of a Roman amphitheatre, and a restored Roman aqueduct. Coal-mining, cloth-making, tanning, and cattle-dealing are carried on. Pop. 12,000.
Rodriguez (Ro-dree'ghez), or Rodrioues, a hilly volcanic island (1760 feet), 18 miles long by 7 broad, lies 380 miles E. by N. of Mauritius, of which it is a dependency. Hurricanes often cause great damage to the island, which is encircled by a coral-reef. It was discovered by the Portuguese in 1645, and has been a British colony since 1814. The chief port is Port Mathurin. Pop. 3200.
Roeskilde (Rus-keel'deh), a city on the Danish island of Zealand, at the southern end of the Roeskilder Fjord, 20 miles by rail W. by S. of Copenhagen. Founded in 980, it was the capital of the Danish kings and the seat of the bishops. The 13th-c. cathedral contains the tombs of most of the kings. Here peace was signed between Sweden and Denmark in 1658. Pop. 8370.