Romans (Romong), a town of France (dep. Drome), on the Isere's right bank, 12 miles by rail NE. of Valence. A 9th-century bridge connects it with Peage on the left bank. Romans owes its origin to an abbey founded in 837. Pop. 15,000.
Roman Wall. See Hadrian's Wall.
Rome, (1) capital of Floyd county, Georgia, on the Coosa River, 72 miles by rail NW. of Atlanta. Pop. 7300. - (2) A city of New York, on the Mohawk River, 109 miles by rail WNW. of Albany, and at the junction of the Erie and Black River canals. It has mills and manufactories of iron, brass, copper, and other goods; and here is Fort Stanwix. Pop. 15,550.
Romford, a market-town of Essex, on the Bourne or Rom, 12 miles ENE. of London. It has large cattle and corn markets, iron-foundries, extensive market-gardens, and a very large brewery of 'Romford ale.' The church of St Edward the Confessor was rebuilt in 1850. Romford is the capital of the Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower, once part of the lands of the Saxon kings. Pop. (1851) 3861; (1901)13,656 See George Terry's Memories of Old Romford (1880).
Romney, New, a municipal borough and Cinque Port in the south of Kent, 8 miles SW. of Hythe. It ceased to be a port in the days of Edward, and is not now either on the seashore or on a navigable river. Pop. 1326. Old Romney, a small village, is 1 1/2 mile further inland.
Romsdal, the valley in central Norway of the impetuous Rauma, which reaches the sea halfway between Bergen and Trondhjem. Its scenery is magnificent, the mountains culminating in the Trolltinder or Witch Needles (5880 feet).
Romsey, a municipal borough of Hampshire, on the Test, 8 miles NW. of Southampton. The fine cruciform abbey church, mainly Norman, was the church once of a Benedictine nunnery, founded about 910 by Edward the Elder. Sir William Petty was the son of a Romsey clothier; and Lord Palmerston, of whom there is a bronze statue (1868) in the market-place, lived close by at Broadlands. A corn exchange was built in 1865, a town-hall in 1866. Pop. (1851) 2080; (1901) 4365. See Littlehales' Romsey Abbey (1886).