Rosherville, gardens near Gravesend (q.v.).
Rosneath. See Dumbartonshire.
Ross, a market-town in Herefordshire, on the Wye's left bank, 14 miles SSE. of Hereford. In the church (1316), whose 'heaven-directed spire' is 208 feet high, is buried John Kyrle, celebrated by Pope as the ' Man of Ross.' Pop. 3300.
Rossendale, a parliamentary division of NE. Lancashire.
Rossland, a centre of gold, silver, and copper mining in the very south of British Columbia, 6 miles from the U.S. frontier. Pop. 6500.
Rostock, in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, a busy Baltic port, stands on the Warnow, 7 miles from its mouth and 60 by rail NE. of Schwerin. It has busy fairs for wool, horses, and cattle; imports coal, wine, herrings, petroleum, groceries, timber, etc.; exports grain, wool, Max, and cattle; and has many industries. The university (1418; rebuilt 1867) has over 400 students. St Mary's (1398-1472) is a noble Gothic church; St Peter's has a steeple 414 feet high. The ducal palace (1702) and the 14th-century Gothic town-house deserve mention. Blucher was a native. Pop. (1875) 34,172; (1900) 54,735.
Rostoff, (1) an important manufacturing town of south Russia, at the head of the delta of the Don and on the railway from Moscow to the Caucasus. Pop. (1881) 44,500; (1897) 119,889. - (2) One of the oldest towns of Russia, 129 miles by rail NNE. of Moscow. Pop. 13,020.
Rosyth, a tract of land extending over 3 miles on the north shore of the Firth of Forth, at St Margaret's Hope, opposite Queensferry and just inside the Forth Bridge, acquired by the government in 1903 for the purpose of forming an extensive naval base. The ruined 16th-century castle of Rosyth, a rock-island connected with the shore by a causeway, was said by tradition (baseless) to have been the birthplace of Oliver Cromwell's mother (named Steward).
Rothamsted Park, 4 miles NW. of St Albans, seat of Sir J. Bennet Lawes (1814-1900), and scene of his and Sir J. Gilbert's agricultural experiments.
Rothay. See Grasmere.
Rothenburg (Ro'ten-boorg), a mediaeval-looking town of Bavaria, on the Tauber, 36 miles W. by S. of Nuremberg. A historical play commemorates periodically an episode in the Thirty Years' War. Pop. 7930.