Rotherham (Roth'er-am; th as in this), a busy manufacturing town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the right bank of the Don, here joined by the Rother, 5 miles ENE. of Sheffield by a railway opened in 1838. Its chief glory is the magnificent 14th-century cruciform church, Perpendicular in style, with crocketted spire and fine west front; in 1875 it was restored by Sir G. G. Scott at a cost of £9000. A handsome Gothic edifice, built for an Independent College in 1875 at a cost of £26,000, was bought at £8000 for the old grammar-school (1483) at which Bishop Sanderson was educated. There are also a mechanics' institute (1853); a free library (1881); an infirmary (1870); a covered market (1879); public baths (1887); a park (1876) of 20 acres, 300 feet above the town; and the Clifton Park of 57 acres, opened by the Prince of Wales in 1891. The manufactures include stoves, grates, chemicals, pottery, glass, railway carriages, etc. Eben-ezer Elliott was a native of Masborough, incorporated with the municipality in 1871. It was constituted a county borough in 1902. Pop. (1851) 6325; (1901) 54,349. See John Guest's huge Historical Notices of Rotherham (1879).