Rovuma, a river of Africa, rises E. of Lake Nyassa, and flows 450 miles E. to the Indian Ocean N. of Cape Delgado, forming the boundary between German and Portuguese East Africa. It was ascended by Livingstone and Kirk in 1862.
Row (Roo), a village of Dumbartonshire, on the east shore of the Gare Loch, 2 miles NW. of Helensburgh by rail (1894). The saintly John M'Leod Campbell was minister from 1825 till his deposition for heresy in 1831. Pop. 954.
Rowley Regis, a town of Staffordshire, 3 miles SE. of Dudley, within whose parliamentary limits it partly lies. There are collieries, ironworks, quarries, potteries, implement-works, and breweries. Pop. (1851) 14,249; (1901) 34,670.
Rowton Heath, a royalist defeat in the Great Rebellion, fought under the walls of Chester, September 24, 1645.
Royal Leamington Spa. See Leamington.
Royat (Rioah-yah'), a watering-place in the dep. of Puy de Dome, 3 miles SW. of Clermont-Ferrand, has mineral springs. Pop. 1580.
Roy Bareilly. See Rai Bareli.
Ruatan', or Rattan, an island in the Bay of Honduras; area, 106 sq. m.; pop. 2000.
Ru'bicon, a stream of Central Italy, falling into the Adriatic a little north of Ariminum, which formed the southern boundary of Caesar's province, so that by crossing it in 49 b.c. he virtually declared war against the Republic. It was probably the modern Fiamicino or Rujone.
Rudesheim (nearly Ree'des-hime), a town of Prussia, on the Rhine's right bank, opposite Bingen, at the foot of the Niederwald (q.v.), and 16 miles W. of Mainz. Here is grown the famous Rudesheimer Rhine-wine. Pop. 4840.