Roxburghshire, a Scottish Border county, bounded by Berwickshire, Northumberland and Cumberland, Dumfriesshire, Selkirkshire, and Midlothian. Its greatest length is 42 miles; its greatest breadth 30 miles; and its area 670 sq. m., or 428,494 acres. In the north the Tweed winds 25 miles eastward, receiving in this course Gala and Leader Waters and the Teviot, which last runs 37 miles north-eastward from above Hawick to Kelso, and itself receives the Ale, Slitrig, Rule, Jed, etc. Thus the whole county, often called Teviotdale, drains to the German Ocean, with the exception only of Liddesdale, or Castle-ton parish, in the extreme south, whose 106 sq. m. belong to the western basin of the Solway Firth. The Cheviots (q. v.) extend along the south-eastern boundary, their highest point here Auchopecairn (2382 feet); in the interior rise Ruberslaw (1392) and the triple Eildons (1385). Rather less than two-thirds of the entire area is in cultivation, and the raising of crops is of much less importance than the grazing of half a million sheep. The extinct burgh of Roxburgh, with a vanished castle, gave the county its name, but has been quite superseded by Kelso; and Jedburgh, the county town, is very much smaller than Hawick; other places are Melrose, Den-holm, St Boswells, Yetholm, etc. Chief seats are Floors Castle, Mount Teviot, Minto House, and Abbotsford. The antiquities include hill-forts; long stretches of the Catrail and Watling Street; the castles or peel-towers of Hermitage, Branx-holm, Harden, Ferniehirst, Smailholm, etc.; and the noble monastic ruins of Melrose, Jedburgh, and Kelso. Besides many more worthies, four poets - James Thomson, Jean Elliot, Leyden, and Aird - were natives; but, although not his birthplace, Roxburghshire is pre-eminently the land of Scott. It witnessed many a fray, but no battle greater than Ancrum Moor (q.v.). The county returns one member. Pop. (1801) 33,721; (1861) 54,119; (1901) 48,904. See Jeffrey's History of Roxburghshire (4 vols. 1857-64).