Runnimede, a long stretch of green meadow, lying along the right bank of the Thames, 1 mile above Staines and 36 miles by river WSW. of London. Here, or on Charta Island, a little way off the shore, Magna Charta was signed by King John, June 15, 1215.
Runn of Cutch. See Cutch.
Rusholme, a southern suburb of Manchester.
Russe. See Rustchuk.
Rustchuk (u as oo), or Russe (the old form revived in 1892), a town of Bulgaria, on the Danube's south bank, opposite Giurgevo, 14 miles by rail NW. of Varna (on the Black Sea) and 40 S. by W. of Bucharest. It was captured by the Russians in 1810 and 1877, and played a prominent part in the Russo-Turkish wars of 1773-90 and 1853-54; and, until its fortifications were dismantled after 1877, possessed considerable strategic importance. Pop. (1900) 32,660.
Rutherglen (u as in cut, th as in this; popularly Ruglen), a town in Lanarkshire, on the Clyde, 3 miles SE. of Glasgow, with whose eastern extremity it is connected by a bridge, built in 1890-91 at a cost of £29,000. Its principal building is a handsome town-hall (1862). Rutherglen was the seat of a royal castle, which was captured by Edward Bruce about 1313, burned by Moray in 1568, and finally demolished in the 18th century. At Rutherglen, in 1679, the Covenanters published a 'Declaration' - the prelude to Drum-clog and Bothwell Bridge. A royal burgh since 1126, it unites with Kilmarnock, etc. to return one member to parliament. Pop. (1831) 4741; (1861) 8062; (1901) 17,220. See Ure's History of Rutherglen (1793).
Ruthin (Roothin), a town of Denbighshire, on the Clwyd, 8 miles SSE. of Denbigh by rail. The 13th-century castle which gave it name (Cym. rhyd-din, ' red fortress'), surrendered in 1646 to the Roundheads, and was afterwards dismantled, part of its site being now occupied by a castellated mansion. A grammar-school (1594) was reconstituted in 1881; and there are also an interesting collegiate church, a county hall, a corn exchange, etc. Chartered by Henry VII. in 1507, Ruthin unites with Denbigh, etc. to return one member. Pop. (1851) 3373; (1901) 2643. See Newcome's Castle and Town of Ruthin (2d ed. 1836).
Ruthven Castle. See Huntingtower.