Ruthwell (th as in this; locally Ri'well), a Dumfriesshire coast parish, 9 miles ESE. of Dumfries. Its famous sandstone cross, 17 3/4 feet high, bears carvings in front and behind of the Crucifixion, Annunciation, etc., with Latin inscriptions, and on the sides of scroll-work, runic verses from 'The Dream of the Holy Rood.' Dating possibly from about 680 a.d., the cross was cast down and broken in 1642 as a monument of idolatry; but in 1802 was re-erected in the manse garden by the Rev. Henry Duncan, minister of Ruthwell, and founder of savings' banks; and in 1887 was removed to an apse adjoining the church.
Rutli, or Grutli, a meadow on the west side of the southern arm of Lake Lucerne; here the men of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden took the oath (1307) to drive out the Austrians. It is national property, having been purchased with the pence of Swiss school children, and is adorned with a monument (1860) to Schiller, and with another (1884) in commemoration of the oath.
Ruwenzo'ri, a mountain in the centre of Africa, just north of the Equator, between Lakes Albert Nyanza and Albert Edward Nyanza. It was discovered by Baker in 1871, and visited by Stanley in 1888; and its summit (19,000 feet) is covered with perpetual snow.
Ruysselede (Roissehlay'deh), a Belgian town, 14 miles SE. of Bruges, has a large reformatory for boys (1849). Pop. 6793.
Rybinsk (Ree-binsk'), a town of Russia, on the Volga's right bank, 48 miles NW. of Yaroslav. It has a very large trade in forwarding to the capital by canal the goods brought hither by large vessels up the Volga. Boat-building, rope-making, brewing, and distilling are industries. Pop. 25,220, increased to 125,000 in summer.
Rye, a decayed seaport of Sussex, 11 miles NE. of Hastings, and 2 miles inland now owing to the retirement of the sea. It stands on an eminence bounded east by the Rother, south and west by the Tillingham, and presents a quaint, old-world aspect. On a rock overlooking the confluence of the streams is the 12th-century Ypres Tower (now a police station); the church, mainly Norman and Early English in style, and one of the largest in the kingdom, was restored in 1883. Then there are the old Land Gate, a former Carmelite chapel, and a grammar-school (1638). The Novus Portus of Ptolemy, Rye was granted by the Confessor to Fecamp Abbey, and by Henry III. was made a Cinque Port. It became a Huguenot asylum after 1562 and 1685 (Thackeray's Denis Duval is laid here); and it returned two members till 1832, and then one till 1885. Fletcher the dramatist was a native. Pop. 3900. See Holloway's History of Rye (1847).