Rutland, the smallest county in England, bounded by Leicester, Lincoln, and Northampton shires. It measures 18 by 15 miles, and has an area of 150 sq. m. or 95,805 acres. The Guash or Wash, flowing to the Welland (which traces the south-east boundary), divides it into two portions - the northern a somewhat elevated tableland, while the southern consists of a number of valleys running east and west, and separated by low hills. Half the whole area is permanent pasture, and woods occupy some 3000 acres. Towns are Oakham and Uppingham, and there are fifty-one parishes. Rutland gives the title of duke to the family of Manners. Its representation was reduced to one in 1885. Pop. (1801) 16,380; (1861) 21,861; (1901) 19,709.
Rutland, capital of Rutland county, Vermont, on Otter Creek, close to the Green Mountains, 67 miles by rail SSE. of Burlington. The chief industry is the quarrying and working of marble; the place has also foundries and railroad shops. From 1784 to 1804 it was one of the capitals of Vermont. Pop- (1880) 7502; (1900) 11,499.