Salt Lake City, the chief town and ecclesiastical capital of the state of Utah, is on the river Jordan, 11 miles from Great Salt Lake (q.v.), and 4265 feet above the level of the sea. By rail it is 36 miles S. of Ogden, on the Union Pacific Railroad (833 miles from San Francisco and 1031 from Omaha). It was settled by the Mormons in 1847, and incorporated in 1851; has an area of 12 sq. m., with corporate limits embracing 50 sq. m.; and its shaded streets, 137 feet wide, many of them freshened by streams of running water from the neighbouring mountains, are traversed by tram-cars (1872), and lit by gas (1873) and the eleatric light (1877). The public buildings include the Mormon temple (1853-93; cost over $2,500,000), with walls built of blocks of dressed granite, 20 feet thick at the basement, and tapering to 6 feet thick at the top; the Tabernacle, an immense elliptical building, with a dome-shaped ('dish-cover') roof resting on sandstone pillars, and seated for 9000; the new assembly hall, of rough-hewn granite; the endowment-house, etc. Other religious bodies also are represented, and there are Roman Catholic, Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Congregationalist, and Methodist churches: St Mark's Cathedral is a handsome building. Other noteworthy edifices are those of the museum, the Mining Institute, St Mary's Hospital, the university of Deseret (1850; buildings finished 1887), and the theatres and opera-house. Manufactures are bricks, paper, timber, blinds, window-glass, etc. Pop. (1870) 12,854; (1900) 53,531. See works by Burton (1861) and Bancroft (1889), and Stanford's Central America (1902).