Salzbrunn (Sahltz'broon), a group of three villages in Prussian Silesia, 40 miles by rail SW. of Breslau. Their eight mineral springs attract nearly 4000 visitors in the season. The alkalo-saline water is largely exported. Pop. 6459.
Salzkammergut (Sahltzkammergoot'), called the Austrian Switzerland, one of the most picturesque districts of Europe, lies wedged between Salzburg on the W. and Styria on the E. Area, about 230 sq. m.; pop. 17,500. The scenery combines in rare beauty the features of valley, mountain, and lake. The highest peak is the Dachstein (9830 feet); of its lakes the most famous are Hall-statt, Traun or Gmunden, Atter, St Wolfgang, Aber, Mond, and Zell. It derives its name of 'salt-exchequer Property' from its salt springs and mines, which yield some 33,000 tons of salt annually. The chief seats of the salt-works are Ischl, Hallstatt, and Ebensee.
Samara (Samah'ra), a town of European Russia, on the Volga's left bank, at the influx of the Samara, 656 miles ESE. of Moscow by rail. It carries on a large river-trade, and has also tanneries, tobacco-factories, soap-boiling-works, and tile-works. Consumptive patients resort to the Koumiss (fermented mares' milk) establishments here. The population increased from 35,000 (1870) to 93,000 (1905). - The government has an area of 58,300 sq. m.; pop. 2,765,000 (100,000 Germans in agricultural colonies).
Sambre (Songbr), a river rising in the French dep. of Aisne, and flowing 112 miles NE., until at Namur in Belgium it joins the Meuse or Maas from the left. Many prehistoric remains have been discovered in caves in the Sambre valley.
Samogitia, a district in the Russian government of Kovno, inhabited by pure Lithuanians.
Samothrace (Samothray'see), or Samothraki, an island of the Aegean Sea, 40 miles NW. of the Dardanelles. It rises to 5248 feet in Mount Saoce (Phengari), which occupies nearly the whole of its surface (68 sq. m.). Bare and repellent, the island possesses no harbour and only one village, Chora, of 2000 inhabitants. Anciently it was celebrated for the worship of the Cabeiri, mysterious divinities whose temples were excavated in 1873-75 by Professor Couze. Parts of the Cyclopean walls of the ancient city still remain. In 1457 it was conquered by the Turks, who then, and again in 1821, nearly exterminated the population.