San Jose, capital of Santa Clara county, California, on the Guadalupe River, 8 miles from the Bay and 50 by rail SE. of the city of San Francisco. Besides a fine court-house and a city hall, it contains the state normal school and a Roman Catholic college for girls; and the University of the Pacific (Methodist Episcopal; 1852) and the Roman Catholic Santa Clara College are both at Santa Clara, close by. Lick Avenue extends from San Jose to the Lick Observatory. The city has wide streets and three parks, is noted for its gardens and fruit, and has foundries, fruit-canneries, woollen and flour mills, a furniture-factory, etc. Much wine is made in the neighbourhood. Pop. (1880) 12,567; (1900) 21,500.
San Jose (San Ho-zay'), the capital since 1823 of Costa Rica, on a fertile plain, 3711 feet above the sea, 25 miles from Carillo, the terminus of the railway (70 miles) from Limon, the Atlantic port. The principal manufactories are the government distillery, steam flour-mills, and two foundries. Pop. 25,000. - (2) A thriving Inland town of Uruguay, capital of the southern department of the same name, 60 miles by rail NNW. of Montevideo. Pop. 9000. - (3) Three towns in the Philippine Islands, with from 7000 to 10,000 inhabitants. - (4) A town in Cuba, 20 miles SE. of Havana. Pop. 3100. See also Cucuta.