Sandhurst

Sandhurst. See Bendigo.

Sandhurst Military College

Sandhurst Military College, Berkshire, 5 miles SSE. of Wokingham and 33 WSW. of London, dates from 1799, was transferred from Great Marlow in 1812, and remodelled in 1858; it gives military training to some 200 cadets.

San Diego

San Diego (De-ay'go), the principal port of southern California, and capital of San Diego county, 124 miles by rail SSE. of Los Angoles. The beautiful bay, 6 miles long, forms an excellent harbour, and the port is a very busy one. Pop. 17,700.

San

San (or Santo) Domingo, capital of the Dominican Republic, stands on the south coast of Hayti. It was founded by Columbus in 1494. The principal buildings are the Gothic cathedral (1514-40), where the ashes of Columbus rested from 1536 till 1796, a college, hospital, arsenal, and government buildings. Pop. 25,000.

Sandoway

San'doway, a district in the south of Arakan in Burma, named after its chief town (pop. 2000), 15 miles from the mouth of a small river of the same name, and 150 miles NW. of Rangoon.

Sandown

Sandown, a watering-place on the south-east coast of the Isle of Wight, 6 miles by rail S. of Ryde. Pop. 5000.

Sandown Castle

Sandown Castle. See Deal.

Sandown Park

Sandown Park, a race-course (130 acres) in Surrey, near Esher, 15 miles SW. of London.

Sandringham

San'dringham, a Norfolk estate, 3 miles from the sea and 7 1/2 miles NNE. of Lynn. Comprising over 7000 acres, it was purchased in 1862 by the Prince of Wales for 220,000. The then existing mansion was demolished, and the present hall, built in 1869-71, a red-brick Elizabethan country-house, standing in a pleasant park of 200 acres; special features are the iron ' Norwich gates,' the dairy, and the splendid cottages. A fire on 1st November 1891 did damage to the amount of over 10,000. Sandringham was the scene of the six-weeks' illness of the Prince of Wales (Nov.-Dec. 1871), and of the death of his eldest son, the Duke of Clarence (14th January 1892). See Mrs Herbert Jones, Sandringham, Past and Present (2d ed. 1888).

Sandusky

Sandus'ky, a port of Ohio, capital of Erie county, on the south shore of Sandusky Bay, an arm of Lake Erie, 56 miles by water (by rail 65) W. of Cleveland. The bay, 15 miles long and 5 wide, forms an excellent harbour. The city has machine-shops, railway-car factories, manufactories of cutlery and edge-tools, wheels, and especially of carved and turned woodwork. Pop. 22,000.

Sandwich Islands

Sandwich Islands. See Hawaii.

Sandy Hook

Sandy Hook, a narrow sandy peninsula of New Jersey, between the Atlantic and Sandy Hook Bay, 16 miles S. of New York. It is 6 miles long, and extends northward towards New York Lower Bay. On it are a lighthouse, with a new and most powerful electric light (1893-94), a fort, and a life-saving station.

Sandyknowe

Sandyknowe. See Smailholm.

Sandy Point

Sandy Point. See Patagonia.

San Felipe

San Felipe (Faylee'pay), (1) capital of the Chilian province of Aconcagua, 60 miles ENE. of Valparaiso. Pop. 12,000. - -(2) A town of Lara state in Venezuela, 140 miles W. by S. of Caracas. Pop. 7000. See also Jativa.