Sarajevo (Sari-yay'vo; Turkish Bosna-Serai), capital of Bosnia, stands on the hill-slopes that overlook the Bosna River (3 miles distant), 166 miles SW. by rail of Bosna-Brod, on the Danube, and 100 E. by rail (1891) of Metkovich, a port near the mouth of the Narenta in the Adriatic. The citadel and the minarets of 100 mosques, the crowded charsia or bazaar, and the steep and narrow streets climbing the hillsides amidst gardens, represent the ancient moslem town; the wide streets on the plain near the railway station, traversed by tramways and lit with the electric light, the Roman Catholic Cathedral, and the Bosnian museum reflect the swift progress that has taken place since the Austrian occupation in 1878. The Bogova-Jamia mosque dates from 1506; the Greek Cathedral is a large building; and the Moslem College (1890) is a fine building in Oriental style. The town has considerable trade, and manufactures tobacco, cigars, and cigarettes; the Hungarian government have revived, in a large factory, the ancient Bosnian art of inlaying gold and silver in copper and wood. Pop. 41,200, mostly all Bosniaks by race, and more than half Mohammedans, with 5000 Greek Catholics, and nearly as many Roman Catholics, and 3000 Jews.