Savo'na, a seaport of Italy, on the Gulf of Genoa, 26 miles by rail S. by W. of Genoa and 91 SSE. of Turin. A handsome modern town embowered in orange-groves, it has a Renaissance cathedral (1589-1604), with the tomb of Pope Sixtus IV.; a castle (1542), now a prison, in which Mazzini was confined in 1830-31; the Delia Rovere Palace, a picture-gallery, a marine institute, ironworks, potteries, glass-works, tanneries, and brick-yards. Pop. 24,481.
Savoy', formerly a province of the kingdom of Sardinia, was transferred to France in 1860, and divided into the two deps. of Savoie and Haute- Savoie. It is an alpine region, having the Graian Alps on the eastern frontier, as the boundary next Piedmont. On that side it runs up to 15,782 feet in Mont Blanc, and to 11,792 in Mont Cenis; thence it falls away gradually to the Rhone (950 feet), which separates it on the west from the French dep. of Ain. The area is 3889 sq. m. (2223 in Savoie and 1666 in Haute-Savoie); the total pop. (1881) 540,525; (1901) 518,584, of whom 254,781 were in Savoie and 263,803 in Haute-Savoie. The dep. of Savoie has the four arrondissements of Albertville, Chambery (the capital), Moutiers, St Jean-de-Maurienne; Haute-Savoie has the four arrondissements of Annecy (the capital), Bonneville, St-Julien, Thonon.
Sawbridgeworth, a town of Herts, on the Stort, 4 miles S. of Bishop Stortford. Pop. of parish, 2085.
Saxmundham, a Suffolk market-town, 22 1/2 miles NE. of Ipswich. Pop. of urban dist., 1452.
Scawfell. See Scafell.
Schaffhausen (Shaff-how'zen), the most northern canton of Switzerland, is bounded on all sides but the south by Baden. Area, 114 sq. m.; pop. (1870) 37,721; (1900) 41,514, German-speaking and Protestant. The Rhine forms the southern boundary; and the surface is hilly. - Schaff-hausen, the capital, is beautifully situated on the Rhine's right bank, 31 miles by rail WNW. of Constance. Overlooking the town, remarkable for its antique architecture, stands the castle of Munoth (1564-90), and there are also the cathedral (12th century), a concert hall, a library, a museum, and a statue to the historian Johannes von Muller, a native. Pop. 10,648. The grand falls of Schaffhausen, about 3 miles below the town, are utilised for factories, which turn out iron, arms, oil, flour, beer, spirits, soap, candles, wool, cotton, and agricultural machines.
Schassburg. See Segesvar.