Schaumburg-Lippe (Showm'boorg-Lippeh), a sovereign German principality, lying between Westphalia and Hanover. Area, 131 sq. m.; pop. (1900) 43,132, mostly Lutherans. Some coal is extracted. Capital, Buckeburg (pop. 5186).
Scheldt (Skelt; Fr. Escaut), a river that rises in the French dep. of Aisne, flows north past Cambrai and Valenciennes, and, entering Belgium, passes Tournai, Oudenarde, Ghent, Dendermonde, and Antwerp, receiving the Lys, Dender, and Rupel. Before it reaches the North Sea it is divided by the islands of Beveland (N. and S.) and Walcheren into two great arms, the Wester (on which is Flushing) and the Ooster Scheldt. The river is navigable to Cambrai, 211 miles from its mouth and 56 from its source.
Schemnitz (Shem'neetz; Magyar Selmeczbanya), the most famous mining-town of Hungary, in a mountain gorge, 65 miles N. by W. of Pesth. The mines have since Roman times produced gold and silver, copper and lead. Pop. 18,265.
Schenectady (Shenek'tady), a city of New York, on the Erie Canal and the south bank of the Mohawk River, 17 miles by rail NW. of Albany. It is the seat of Union University (1795), and contains locomotive works, stove-foundries, woollen and flour mills, etc. Schenectady was settled by the Dutch in 1661. Pop. 31,700.
Scheveningen (Skay'ven-ing-en), a Dutch seaside-resort on the North Sea, now practically part of the Hague, 2 miles NW. Pop. 21,000. Off Scheveningen the Dutch fleet was defeated, and its admiral Tromp killed, by the English under Monk on 8th-10th August 1653.
Schiedam (Skee-damm'), a Dutch town, 2 1/2 miles W. of Rotterdam, and close to the Maas; here Hollands gin is made, in some 300 distilleries. There is a large shipping trade, cooperages, malt-kilns, etc. Pop. 27,500.
Schipka. See Shipka.
Schlangenhad (Shlang'en-bat), a German spa. The Rheingau stands in a wooded valley of the Taunus Mountains, 5 miles W. of Wiesbaden. The water of the baths (82°-90° F.) is used, for the most part externally, in baths, and is helpful in nervous diseases, for women's complaints, and for purifying the skin. Pop. 503. Visitors in the season, 2000. The place gets its name ('snakes' bath') from a harmless snake found there.
Schleswig. See Sleswick.
Schlettstadt (Shlett'stat), a town of Lower Alsace, on the Ill's left bank, 27 miles by rail SSW. of Strasburg, manufacturing wire-gauze. In the 15th century, a free imperial city, it was the seat of a great humanist school. In 1634 the town became French; it was fortified by Vauban in 1676. The Germans, after capturing the town in 1870, razed the fortifications. Here Bucer the Reformer was born. Pop. 9500.