Scrabster. See Thurso.
Scranton, a city of Pennsylvania, the capital of Lackawanna county, on the Lackawanna River, 144 miles by rail NW. of New York. It has a great trade in coal and mining supplies; and it has car and carriage factories, and large iron and steel manufactories, turning out locomotives, boilers, machinery, stoves, and edge-tools. Founded in 1840, it became a city in 1856. Pop. (1860) 9223; (1890) 75,215; (1900) 102,026.
Scrivelsby. See Horncastle, and a work by the Rev. S. Lodge (1893).
Scutari (Italian or Levantine form of the Turkish Zskudar), a town of Asiatic Turkey, on the eastern shore of the Bosporus, opposite Constantinople, with mosques, bazaars, and baths, and a college of howling dervishes. It manufactures silks and cotton fabrics and leather goods, and has long been famed for its extensive cemeteries, adorned with magnificent cypresses. The pop. is variously estimated at from 40,000 to 60,000. During the Crimean war the barracks on the southern outskirts were occupied as barracks and hospital by the English troops, and formed the scene of Miss Nightingale's labours. Scutari occupies the site of the ancient Chryso-polis; and 2 miles S. lies the village of Kadikoi, the ancient Chalcedon. - (2) A town of European Turkey, at the S. end of the Lake of Scutari, in northern Albania, 16 miles from the Adriatic. It is overlooked by an old Venetian citadel, manufactures arms and cotton goods, and trades in wool and skins. Pop. 25,000.
Seacombe, a NW. suburb of Birkenhead.
Seaford, a watering-place of Sussex, 3 miles E. of Newhaven, with golf-links. It was a dependency of the Cinque Port of Hastings in the 15th century, and was disfranchised in 1832. Of late it has grown in size and prosperity. Pop. 3500.
Seaforth, Loch, an arm of the sea, 14 miles long, in the east of the island of Lewis-with-Harris.
Seaham Harbour (See'am), a seaport of Durham, 6 miles S. of Sunderland. Founded in 1828 by the Marquis of Londonderry, it communicates by rail with neighbouring collieries, and has docks and quays for the shipment of coal. There are also bottle-works, blast-furnaces, an iron-foundry, chemical works, and a seamen's infirmary (1849). Pop. (1851) 3538; (1901) 10,163.
Sea Islands, a group of low sandy or marshy islands on the coast of South Carolina (q.v.), famed for their rice and fine cotton.
Sealkote. See Sialkot.
Seathwaite. See Borrowdale.
Seaton, a Devon watering-place, on a bay at the mouth of the Axe, 6 1/2 miles SW. of Ax-minster. Pop. 1330.
Seaton Carew, a Durham watering-place, 2 miles S. of West Hartlepool. Pop. 1400.
Seattle (Se-at'tel), capital of King county, Washington, on Elliott Bay, an arm of Puget Sound, 18 miles by rail N. of Tacoma. It owes its phenomenal growth to the lumber trade. Over 1000 vessels of about 1,000,000 tons enter and clear the port annually, carrying away coal and timber. Shipbuilding and a busy fishery are also carried on. There are cable and electric tramways, and the town possesses a university. In 1889 a terrible fire destroyed the whole business portion, and did damage estimated at nearly $10,000,000; but within a year 265 new buildings, mostly of iron and stone, besides sixty wharves, with a frontage of 2 miles, were erected. Pop. (1880) 3533; (1890) 42,837; (1900) 80,671.